Old 07-14-2019, 03:39 PM   #1

Oven Issue

Hello,
Purchased a 19 Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite and attempted to use propane oven while camping for first time. Oven lights up and proceeds to preheat to set temp but then all flames go out and no more heat?? Please help

Upnorth19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #2

Sounds to me like the pilot generator cartridge. If it does not produce enought millivolts the gas valve will not stay open. If not that, would be the gas valve. The type gas valve will determine appropriate millivolt requirements.
Have you verified adequate flow of propane?

hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshaynes View Post
Sounds to me like the pilot generator cartridge. If it does not produce enought millivolts the gas valve will not stay open. If not that, would be the gas valve. The type gas valve will determine appropriate millivolt requirements.
Have you verified adequate flow of propane?
All 3 stovetop burners burn fine in reference to adequate flow. However, while oven was burning, the 2 back stovetop burners would only ignite 3/4 of the way??
Old 07-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #4

Given that information, you may have a pressure problem. If you raise the cover then remove the rack, you can ease the entire drip pan out. That gives you access to the guts of the stove. Verify that there is no foreign matter where air is mixed with propane. Look at all the lines and tubes to ensure there are no kinks. I looked at my valve and did not see any adjustment screw. You indicated the unit is a '19. If you found no trash or anything else that would block the air mixture then I would contact the dealer. That should be under warranty. If so, I would take it back to the dealer for resolution. If it is under warranty and you are too far from the dealer, you might contact the oven manufacturer to see if there is a local maintenance team.

If there is and adjustment screw, you need to have a service tech check it out. If you have too little pressure it will not work. Too much and it will not work properly either.

Please keep us posted what you find.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #5

If you have a Suburban stove, I had the same issue. The problem is that the pilot lights start sputtering as the oven gets hot and goes out once the oven reached the set temp. There is supposedly an updated pilot assembly which I purchased and it didn't help. I ended up using a small needle and slightly enlarged the pilot jet. It makes the flame much larger and doesn't sputter now. Some people leave their pilots on all the time so you wouldn't want to do that with this mod.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
If you have a Suburban stove, I had the same issue. The problem is that the pilot lights start sputtering as the oven gets hot and goes out once the oven reached the set temp. There is supposedly an updated pilot assembly which I purchased and it didn't help. I ended up using a small needle and slightly enlarged the pilot jet. It makes the flame much larger and doesn't sputter now. Some people leave their pilots on all the time so you wouldn't want to do that with this mod.
Definitely a pilot light assembly problem. I was luckier. The replacement part I purchased (after getting correct part number from Suburban) worked perfectly.

Service tech in shop where I purchased the pilot assembly also told me that position was important. Pilot flame should be just outside the main flame when the oven is heating up. I found that mine was just inside the main flame spread. Removed the burner tube and tweaked the pilot assy mounting bracket. Explanation from tech was that as the main burner goes to low it often sputters a little and has a tendency to blow the pilot flame out. Keeping the pilot a little bit away from edge of main flame will prevent this and keeping the pilot lit will in turn keep the burner flame lit after it passes through "sputter mode".

All I can say is the new assembly and the tweak made my oven work well enough that I could bake cookies

BTW, the part is only available from authorized Suburban repair centers/dealers and costs about $12 plus shipping.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #7

Thanks
Old 07-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #8

My main burner didn't sputter at all. Was the pilot that was sputtering. I could see it completely go out and then come back on while the main burner was running.

Peculiar that the replacement pilot unit looks identical to the one I took out. Makes me think they put the old style in the new package.

I wish I had just started out enlarging the pilot which was my fix.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote