Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #1

Over-the-air TV reception

Just picked up our new V-Lite 3 weeks ago. In setting it up, the HDTV that came with the unit receives 14 over-the-air channels and the picture quality rivals our home Direct TV quality. I installed an older (analog) TV in the bedroom and had to connect-up to an analog-digital box to make it work - And it does, except that it only receives 3 minor channels. How does this make sense when both TV's are using the same over-the-air antenna? Thanks.

2013 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
2013 F150 EcoBoost/Max Trailering Pkg.
Road Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Two possibilities:
The analog->digital box you are using has low sensitivity, or
the signal in that room is bad (cable, splitter, etc.). Is there any way you can move the HDTV to that room and see how it does there?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #3

It would be difficult to move the HDTV to the bedroom, but easier to move the older unit with the box and hook it up where the HDTV unit is. The "sensitivity" issue may be the answer. I would spring for a new small flat-screen unit for the bedroom, but there isn't a convenient place to mount it there which is why I'm trying the older unit. Thanks for the advice.
2013 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
2013 F150 EcoBoost/Max Trailering Pkg.
Road Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Home View Post
Just picked up our new V-Lite 3 weeks ago. In setting it up, the HDTV that came with the unit receives 14 over-the-air channels and the picture quality rivals our home Direct TV quality. I installed an older (analog) TV in the bedroom and had to connect-up to an analog-digital box to make it work - And it does, except that it only receives 3 minor channels. How does this make sense when both TV's are using the same over-the-air antenna? Thanks.
I had the same issue except opposite my box would pull more channels then the HDTV I even tried other ports same thing box would pull more channels finally pulled the outlet with the booster switch and traced wiring and found it wired wrong. switched wires to the way they were supposed to be and now I get same amount of channels on both devices no clue why the box worked
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #5

Many of the analog to digital converters are basically "junk!" We have tried 3 different brands of converters and the name brand ones all were very good, but the off brand that were sold or given away with coupons at most of the big box stores really were bad and made me wonder if it wasn't a ploy to convince people to buy new HDTV's sooner than they might have done if their older sets would have worked.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
phat phrog stunt crew

wonder if it wasn't a ploy

no reptable salesman/store would stoop so low
Old 02-21-2013, 01:28 AM   #7

Anyway, one can find inexpensive, but good HDTV sets that now include the "smart" circuit for wifi (eliminating wires & allows hookup to your laptop computer if it contains wifi), at many places especially at Costco or Sams which makes their use much easier with any RV vehicle or trailer. Your next issue may be with your outside antenna because digital signals are "fickle" and the signal dissappears with heavy rain or snow, or if you park within trees because the sap in the tree blocks the signal!!! It is the same issue like trying to recieve a satellite signal.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #8

As far as an antennae is concerned, there is no difference between a digital TV signal and an analog one.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #9

To a great degree you are correct as long as your coax connections are good with no shorts or open circuit due to incorrect or worn fittings at either end of the coax and your pre-amp hasn't been zapped by static. That is why digital is such an inferior medium for transporting information over the air! In most campgrounds and our own home we lost the ability to pick-up many TV stations when the required switch was made from analog to digital. Fellow ham radio operator friends of mine who work as TV Station Engineers tell me that coverage dropped as much as 75% depending on their own antennas oriented at the top of the towers, The power they transmit, and the local terrain including trees, towers, & buildings in your "line-of-site." FYI. I hope this helps, if not, ask someone including talking to an engineer at a local TV or radio station for possibly a better explanation, but it may not be anything you are doing wrong if you connections are good.

2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
53Oliver88 is offline   Reply With Quote