Old 07-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Pin-hole in A/C condenser

We used the TT this past weekend, the weekend of hell-ish temps in S. Ga. and the A/C just would not cool the TT down as it has before. I did consider the heat index and set the thermostat on 80 during the day. BUT-- when I was ready to retire about 1:30 a.m. Sunday the temp in the unit was 92 and the unit was running. We were at a friends house out in the "boonies", so I woke them up and we slept on the floor. Today I was going to clean the A/C unit and when I took the cover off I found the problem, I'm sure. There is a very tiny pin-hole in the copper tubing of the condenser. This is at one of the 180 bends and of course the one at the bottom. I'm sure I will get a lot of "These cannot be repaird", but--has anyone known of a small pin hole being repaired and the condenser re-charged? I used to do A/C work on auto's and just can't see that "It cannot be done". Thanks for reading, David.

Thurman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Yep... had it done to mine and it lasted all of 6 days.

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!

Brian & Margie
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Call an actual heating and air company. I had one of mine fixed on our old motorhome and I see the guy that bought it almost every other weekend and it's still working fine today after five years.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
It can be fixed, must use "silver solder". Regular solder will not stand the pressure, if it os a high side line. It can also be recharged. Most camper dealers don't have techs trained for this. I would check on the internet, AC manufacturer, and look for a authorized repair facility for that brand, and take it there. Get an estimate, and go from there.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
So, I had my "good friend" of 45+ years who is great at auto A/C look at my RV unit. He told me "we" could patch up the pin-hole and he could charge it with R-22 with me only paying for the R-22. But--he showed me something else wrong with this unit. He "de-soldered" one of the 180 bends on the end and removed it to show me how the inside of the copper tubing looks to be eroded, which he says is very common with auto and RV A/C units. The chances of a new pin-hole blowing out would be very good. I trust him enough that the decision was made to purchase a new unit. Does anyone have a recommendation as to where to purchase a new unit, preferably sticking with the Duo-Therm model 57915, ducted, that I have so it would bolt right in? The local RV shop/store wants $1178 just for the replacement top unit. Way to much over budget at this time, but there prices are always over their head, so to speak. Any recommendations as to whom to order a unit from? Thanks, David
Thurman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Try this site

Dometic DUO THERM BRISK AIR CONDITIONER 13500 BTU Top Unit - $449..
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
I would replace the copper lines that you can, most can be replaced completely and then vacuum it down and charge it (always use a scale to weight the refrigerant in)
Md Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
Too old to be too smart
I thought I was faced with this also, and did a fair amount of research into the matter.

There are no service valves installed at manufacture. You'll have to add them, but I'm confident your friend can easily do this, and likely has them "in stock" already.

If he's good with copper (most of them are), he should be able to fix this unit to last a good-while.

I'd agree with Jeff, above. Unless your decision is firm, go ahead and just fix it.

2004 Terry 250RKS, perfect for the two of us and the pups. It recently replaced our Flagstaff 21FB.

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3:73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote