Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Dazed & Confused

Poor Radio Reception

One thing that has always bugged me with our Windjammer is the poor radio reception of the Genesis GT-3.0. We just returned from a trip where we spent 5 nights in a location where we could only tune in one FM station and that station was one we did not care for. Due to my tinnitus I prefer to go to bed with music playing with the radio set to go off after 90 minutes. I had with me a little pocket AM/FM receiver that I was able to receive multiple stations, inside the camper, so I hooked it to the Genesis via the Aux input. Now I got to thinking that it seemed ridiculous that I could tune in all these stations, inside, on this little pocket radio (pic attached) while getting only one station on a radio hooked to an external antenna. When we returned home I decided to pull the Genesis to check for loose or corroded connections. I found what is sold is sold as an "Car Antenna Radio FM and AM Signal Amplifier Amp Booster" installed. (Pic attached) When I removed the "amp" and connected the antenna without it, I was able to tune 8 stations. With the "amp" installed I got 5. I put the Genesis back in w/o the amp installed. Today I was searching out "antenna amps" and came across the same unit being sold on Amazon for $5.40 with free shipping. I noticed the reviews were very low and found this one review interesting. Here is part of that review:

"These so-called "Car Antenna Radio FM and AM Signal Amplifier Booster" are cheap, completely useless products sold by the thousands here and on the other large auction website.

If you open up this "amp", there is a board with two capacitors and two resistors inside with no active semiconductors whatsoever to amplify the radio signal. There is not a single transistor inside. Resistors and capacitors alone are passive elements that do not "amplify" anything.

The positive connector wire that pretends to supply the 'amplifier' probably serves as connection to the positive side of car's wiring to extend the passive antenna - I can't imagine any other use for it.

This does absolutely nothing; it does not work at all. Don't waste your time and your money on this. I will make sure to return mine even if the shipping would cost me more than I already paid for this whole gimmicky thing."

Well I tore mine apart and that is exactly what I found. (pic attached) I will try this for a while w/o an amp, but may purchase an actual amp in the future because we do camp in several areas with poor reception.

My point here is if you suffer from poor radio reception, you may want to check to see if you have one of these in you unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	136593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	136594   Click image for larger version

Name:	junk.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	136595  
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:26 AM   #2

Fellow Tinitis
androclesandrocles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:43 AM   #3

Fellow Tinnitus believer (opps fat fingers?) I have the same bonus from occupational hearing damage and living longer that I thought I would.
Here's my story I've told before?
Until you give them the money: that's when the education begins!
Usually with a screwdriver, Amprobe continuity tester and Don't forget those deliquesce fingers that will find every screw tip, staple sharp edge, or things you can't see and thought they wouldn't be there.

Just think in reverse? If you were putting it together where would you finish: start there. Look for rapidly assembled screw sets that are moving faster that your feet / hands/body can. Follow: that is the angle depth and tightness you will find.

Be SLOW when you replace out those : " 751" four pin straight blade key locks with the round ( Ace) locks: they impact those Chinese wonders with the same speed as the others, the "threads shred" and I not sure where the "metal" came from but: don't trust the thin Nitrile or polypropylene gloves. Tip: wire N nylon brush them real good first and take your time. If you have three get at least two sets of three keyed alike and mix N match that way you'll have two primary and four back ups,if you can get past that new Tyler on the hatch. ( Pass on the battery combo just a combo from a locksmith with a constant smile ! $35, 00 USC max N pro local labor if needed.
Leaks? You need to read on. All I know ,so far ,it everything leaks,now, later before you weather proof or after you weather proof.

If that was any help, maybe some one ,who when thru the stress of finding out that the WXYZ radio that's couldn't get a "good signal" in the showroom got a few/better)stronger at home but: 25 miles between City's/or Towns 2 or three?

Answer me one? Is the radio antenna wired to the crank up UHF/VHF/TV/WING antenna on the roof (that don't crank up) you must crank "13 turns until you will meet more resistance" ?

Or it a mystery wire that goes elsewhere? Or a "stubby" ?

Before I destroy the thing looking :"above and to the right rear (as the Jensen installations instructions in French? Leads me to believe?)Trying to get an answer. Sales, dealer, assembled or Executive Forest River cannot say: unless " you bring it in"?

I saw : or should I say "heard" only four sister products that got reception right next to us?
We all know it's just a :"loose" wire or "slightly" defective unit!
( But the TV with an aux. FIREWIRE or the RCA DVD/cd outputs come thru louder and clearer than description allows at a family campground or State Park?

If it's me I'll wait for the two weeks to get an appointment but if it's simple and anyone can do it: why wake up a sleeping warrantee?

If nobody knows; I'll let you know so as soon as the band aids® run out?

I believe, without my x-ray vision working as good as it did: you have found an answer and may know this new answer you must have passed on your way to Nirvana​.
How difficult was it to remove or get beging the radio to the problem , without leaving too much evidence that you had been there?
Tough? Tight? Easy?
Did the radio antenna (with the de -amplifier ) use the same : TV AMPLIFIER AND ANTENNA?

That. Info would do me good!
If it helps me get out in one piece I'll tell ya if the three :"gift" amps and antennae, my pity pals gave me,bless them?

I think the radios got what. It take's , not my words but with indoor/outdoor & both on and my hearing devices tempted: good friends and neighbor's verified it Worked very good , until I tuned in radio free static?

Thanks for you help so far and would appreciate more?
Unless the trial an error way is best to learn the unknown permanently!
Old 05-10-2017, 12:44 AM   #4

Thanks for the great pictures YOU paid the cost to remove and display! 😉
Old 05-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
Dazed & Confused

I have a Genesis GT-3.0 system, not a Jensen. To remove mine was very simple. Pop off the bezel and remove four screws, one in each corner. My radio is hooked to an AM/FM radio antenna very similar to the one in the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	137408  
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #6

THANKSTOYOU I thoughts "GT-3.0 WAS A JENSEN MODEL?

TRYING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT The Forest River Mysteries?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #7

I'm going to jump in with both feet to getting the bottom ( or back) of this: unless anyone has a better idea?
Just don't wanna: Do a bad job or let the dealer at it (. Unnecessarily since they are too busy or don't feel confident enough to (my 2017 Wildwood 171 was born in November2016)
I know it "should be under WARRANTEES less this is good as it gets? So IF WARREN BUFFET'S FOREST RIVER makes them all the same: either its there or not? But once I "modify it" with a"BETTER IMPROVED" Antenna system: I'll have to keep the pieces intact if it stays the same.
Here's hoping for a loose wire?
Thanks again...

TRYING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT The Forest River Mysteries?

Tags
radio, reception