Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

Poor Radio Station Reception

I have a 2015 Prism, Model 2150. It has a Jensen radio in the coach. The problem I have with it is it gets almost no radio stations! A couple FM stations barely come in but that's it. It seems like the antenna isn't plugged into the unit but I pulled the radio out and an antenna cable is plugged into it. I still think it's an antenna issue, has anyone else experienced this problem? (I took it to the dealer and they said it was working properly) NO WAY!
Toddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #2

Hi,

My FM comes in OK on my Jenson in a 2014 Silverback 33RL, but the AM is pathetic. My (otherwise very good) dealer has fiddled around with it twice, with no real improvement.

My guess it's the sad little stub of an antenna that sits on the side, next to all that aluminum framing, instead of extending over the roof top with some length. But I'm too lazy to rig another antenna, since I can listen to the stations I want over the internet.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #3

Short and barely effective rubber-ducky antenna, no metal on the roof to establish a ground-plane. We'll always be disappointed in radio reception with these systems. Anything better will interfere with clearance. My other MH had an xtra long antenna that began below the windshield and arced at 25 degrees over the top of the driver window and past. It was at least 36" long. THAT antenna worked much better even as it was mounted to fiberglass. I receive a weak AM station in that MH...in my XLR I get static. I haven't figured what I'll do yet...but at least I can put something up that's easily removed for when I go traveling again. I've read threads that advise using the TV antenna w/amps & splitters. That's a fab idea...but no good for AM radio where Rush Limbaugh resides. Maybe I'll jus' use some coax and attach the antenna base to the awning hardware -something metal...I dunno. In Florida Keys I reserve 1200 to 1500hrs for a cigar and a couple scotch-on-the-rocks for Rush. I use the AM radio, not streaming. I'll get him this winter jus' fine. May not be pretty but it'll function perfectly.

Odd that FR supplies a near 400watt audio system but ineffective antennas. Maybe attach a 30" whip to the top of the TV antenna arm? Where there's a will...
Old 11-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
AM reception will be problematic in any RV. the LED light interfere, the power convertor has switching power supply, more interference. The rubber duck antenna stye on my rockwood has a FM preamp that will not allow AM signals to pass. You can not use the TV antenna either as it won't pass AM.
I would suggest a AM Radio like this

GE Superadio III Product Reviews

Set the radio outside and use headphone jack to feed one of the inputs on the Entertainment system.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Had poor radio reception in my Lacrosse. So I pulled the radio out and removed the cheap wire antenna that was just laying in the cabinet . Then I added a spliter and wired it to the tv antenna. Lucky the wiring for the tv was right where I could get at it easily. Works good now!
For am stations I just plug a radio into the input.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #6

I have the same 2015 Prism and Jensen radio. Mine came with an antenna stuck onto the windshield (which frequently came unstuck). Very poor FM reception.
I solved the problem by removing the existing antenna, and replacing it with a "normal" antenna mounted on the outside. Good reception!
Actually, I don't even know why I did it, as I have Sirius, which is what we listen to most of the time.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #7

I contacted Forest River ( after my dealer couldn't help) and they admitted the problem but there's nothing they will do about it.

So I don't use our radio in our 2016 Windjammer 3029W...
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #8

U mean the radio in the MBS dash and not in the living area? If you do, mine also sux bad..... they are working on it now. It had that lighted bar a the top of the windsheild. The real MBS antenna was still in the glove box.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I just plug in my Sirius radio into my system and forget about the micky mouse am/fm staions Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #10

If FR would wire the dash radio in to the radio antenna on the roof,,,
Ill bet we would be able to lesson to the radio !!!
Until then I guess most people use the CD player ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #11

GE Superadio III Product Reviews

Just got me to thinking. How would you connect that to the speaker system to use the tuner in the Superedio ? Maybe a new project in the future. Got to admit in weak reception areas the factory unit worthless.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #12

My problem with buying a Superaido is,,,
You spend 70 or 80k on a MH,,, and then have to buy a radio !!!
Because it is not installed right ???
BS !!!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #13

I jus' purchased two 48" whips from an amateur outlet for $4/ea. I'll jam 'em in the mesh of the swivel. I actually expect the improved signal capture to drown-out converter noise. We'll see. I'll update.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I just plug in my Sirius radio into my system and forget about the micky mouse am/fm staions Later RJD
If you travel XM/Sirus is the Only way to go! Agree with RR Man! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #15

Wolverine
I believe the reason FR uses the inside, tape antenna is because the original Mercedes antenna can't be mounted on the reconfigured RV roof. They think this is a cool solution, except that it doesn't work.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #16
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
... I added a spliter and wired it to the tv antenna. Lucky the wiring for the tv was right where I could get at it easily. Works good now!
That's what I did. Turn the booster on and pull in those FM stations.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #17

All good ideas however we're trying to capture AM stations. I don't "rap" so I don't listen to much FM. I have Sirius in the truck and the XLR, but I don't pay subscriptions. I'm the guy that DX's distant AM stations. I've done that since I was a kid rather than do homework. I know I'm not the only one. I had a 50 foot line & coil when I was younger...loved pulling in AM skip. I'm also doing shortwave. Interesting to listen to English broadcasts from ASIA to get a different perspective on what US media wants us to believe. What better to do in winter than sit outside on 80 degree overnites in Florida Keys catching distant shortwave?

Don...nephew to WV6PRY
Old 11-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #18

Just get XM/Sirius radio and be done. Also plenty of APPs for your phone. Both can be plugged into the stereo with a 3.5 patch cord.
All the stereo stuff installed in RV's is just plain ole junk. Speakers are horrible, stereos don't last. Doesn't matter what you pay for the RV you still get junk most of the time. A few MFGs are putting in quality electronics but they are rare. Biggest issue with the Jensen junk is the lack of output/inputs for HDMI.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
Wolverine
I believe the reason FR uses the inside, tape antenna is because the original Mercedes antenna can't be mounted on the reconfigured RV roof. They think this is a cool solution, except that it doesn't work.
Know nothing about the Mercedes roof !!!
All I do know is our Sunseeker has a Radio antenna on the roof,,,
That I believe would work Great for the unit in the dash !!!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Just get XM/Sirius radio and be done. Also plenty of APPs for your phone. Both can be plugged into the stereo with a 3.5 patch cord.
All the stereo stuff installed in RV's is just plain ole junk. Speakers are horrible, stereos don't last. Doesn't matter what you pay for the RV you still get junk most of the time. A few MFGs are putting in quality electronics but they are rare. Biggest issue with the Jensen junk is the lack of output/inputs for HDMI.
I have always wondered how much those Radio Services cost ???
And do I want to pay for something for 365 days for something that would only get used once in a while ???
I guess the is a easy way out for FR !!!

Tags
radio, reception