Old 11-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Poor Radio Station Reception

I have a 2015 Prism, Model 2150. It has a Jensen radio in the coach. The problem I have with it is it gets almost no radio stations! A couple FM stations barely come in but that's it. It seems like the antenna isn't plugged into the unit but I pulled the radio out and an antenna cable is plugged into it. I still think it's an antenna issue, has anyone else experienced this problem? (I took it to the dealer and they said it was working properly) NO WAY!

Toddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #2

My FM comes in OK on my Jenson in a 2014 Silverback 33RL, but the AM is pathetic. My (otherwise very good) dealer has fiddled around with it twice, with no real improvement.

My guess it's the sad little stub of an antenna that sits on the side, next to all that aluminum framing, instead of extending over the roof top with some length. But I'm too lazy to rig another antenna, since I can listen to the stations I want over the internet.

Rich Phillips

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #3
Short and barely effective rubber-ducky antenna, no metal on the roof to establish a ground-plane. We'll always be disappointed in radio reception with these systems. Anything better will interfere with clearance. My other MH had an xtra long antenna that began below the windshield and arced at 25 degrees over the top of the driver window and past. It was at least 36" long. THAT antenna worked much better even as it was mounted to fiberglass. I receive a weak AM station in that my XLR I get static. I haven't figured what I'll do yet...but at least I can put something up that's easily removed for when I go traveling again. I've read threads that advise using the TV antenna w/amps & splitters. That's a fab idea...but no good for AM radio where Rush Limbaugh resides. Maybe I'll jus' use some coax and attach the antenna base to the awning hardware -something metal...I dunno. In Florida Keys I reserve 1200 to 1500hrs for a cigar and a couple scotch-on-the-rocks for Rush. I use the AM radio, not streaming. I'll get him this winter jus' fine. May not be pretty but it'll function perfectly.

Odd that FR supplies a near 400watt audio system but ineffective antennas. Maybe attach a 30" whip to the top of the TV antenna arm? Where there's a will...
2014 XLR 415AMP, 2011 F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW, three bikes, NRA Benefactors.2013=180, 2014=184, 2015=216, 2016=220 jus' completed 7300 mile trek.
dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
AM reception will be problematic in any RV. the LED light interfere, the power convertor has switching power supply, more interference. The rubber duck antenna stye on my rockwood has a FM preamp that will not allow AM signals to pass. You can not use the TV antenna either as it won't pass AM.
I would suggest a AM Radio like this

GE Superadio III Product Reviews

Set the radio outside and use headphone jack to feed one of the inputs on the Entertainment system.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
Site Team
Had poor radio reception in my Lacrosse. So I pulled the radio out and removed the cheap wire antenna that was just laying in the cabinet . Then I added a spliter and wired it to the tv antenna. Lucky the wiring for the tv was right where I could get at it easily. Works good now!
For am stations I just plug a radio into the input.
Next year is here - GO CUBS- 4 more WINS to go
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 89 nights of camping
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
I have the same 2015 Prism and Jensen radio. Mine came with an antenna stuck onto the windshield (which frequently came unstuck). Very poor FM reception.
I solved the problem by removing the existing antenna, and replacing it with a "normal" antenna mounted on the outside. Good reception!
Actually, I don't even know why I did it, as I have Sirius, which is what we listen to most of the time.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
I contacted Forest River ( after my dealer couldn't help) and they admitted the problem but there's nothing they will do about it.

So I don't use our radio in our 2016 Windjammer 3029W...
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #8
U mean the radio in the MBS dash and not in the living area? If you do, mine also sux bad..... they are working on it now. It had that lighted bar a the top of the windsheild. The real MBS antenna was still in the glove box.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
I just plug in my Sirius radio into my system and forget about the micky mouse am/fm staions Later RJD
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #10
If FR would wire the dash radio in to the radio antenna on the roof,,,
Ill bet we would be able to lesson to the radio !!!
Until then I guess most people use the CD player ???

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

radio, reception