Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #1

Pop Up Furnace and Thermostat

I have a 2012 Flagstaff popup model 823D. My furnace would not come on when the thermostat was set up. I found two wires near the furnace that were apart due to the crimp connection being off. I repaired the two wires and turned the power back on. The furnace started and ran fine. Problem was the thermostat was in the off position. Furnace kept on running so I shut off the gas and used electric heaters for our trip.

When we got home I checked the t-stat wire under the camper. It goes across to the other side and I traced the wire and found it wrapped around the axle. The loose end looked like it was pulled loose from somewhere. Last summer I had a blowout and shredded a tire. Apparently it grabbed the t-stat wire and pulled it loose from somewhere. My problem is where do I look to reattach the wire? I pulled the furnace and cannot find anywhere to attach the t-stat wire. If it is not at the furnace then where do I look.

Please help.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #2

You should have two wires coming from the t-stat that go to the furnace. I bet you would be good to go if you connected two wires from the stat to the two loose wires that you connected together at the furnace.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

That makes sense. It explains why the crimp connector came apart. So I should be okay to just tie the t-stat wires into the two that came loose at the furnace?

Steve
StevenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Site Team

All the thermostat does is connect two wires together to call for heat. I bet by connecting the two wires you found together you effectively bypassed the t-stat, so hooking the wires you connected together to the wires from the t-stat should work.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #5

That certainly makes sense now. The two wires I "reconnected" were both blue. I also found two of the crimp connectors near the wires. I will connect one wire from the t-stat to each of the blue wires and I should be good to go. The popup is closed up right now. I closed it up yesterday before our first expected rainfall in about 80 days. NE GA is under a severe drought. We had about one inch today and some more expected tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the help with this furnace/t-stat problem. It is good to know that there are very helpful people on this forum who can help out with our problems.

Steve
Old 11-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #6

Steve:

Be aware that "blue wires with crimp connectors" is also a description for the electric brake wires (if your camper is equipped with them).

Just a reminder not to assume anything.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, pop up, thermostat