Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

Portable GPS, which is best?

Garmin, Magellan or Rand McNally? We have been trying to use Google Maps on our tablet, but we hate it.
2015 Coachmen Freelander 22QBF | 1980 Toyota truck toad

Stinkielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #2

My experiences with handhelds are with TOPO maps only; and used for desert and mountain backpack trips. But I have a few Garmins, one quite old and it still works. I had ONE Magellan and that fell apart when I went to change the battery. And that happened in the Maze in SE UT on a nice 115 degree day.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #3

We have owned the "Garmin 50" for a few years now, and it got us where we needed to go. In and out of state. It's been pretty accurate.

I just today download the App "MapQuest GPS Navigation & Maps" onto my phone to give it a try. We are flying into Orlando on Sunday and we will be renting a car, so I wanted to pre-test the MapQuest directional knowledge. I lived there years ago so I know of the area to be able to test it's accuracy.

I am impressed, and quite surprised, to see how accurate this phone app is. I like that it shows ( animates ) the course of direction with the voice commands, just like the Garmin.

A definite thumbs-up on this APP.

P.S. I agree, I too, am not fond of the Google Maps. I prefer MapQuest.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #4

The Garmin RV760lmt seems to be a good RV related GPS. It has both RV and automobile modes and chooses different routes for each. It seems to have a large data base of RV parks and campgrounds which are searchable based on hook-ups, facilities, etc. Also eats, fuel, ATM's, etc.
My favorite function is the closeup diagram of intersections. It allows my navigator to scroll ahead and tell me what lane to be in for a turn.
It has a traffic function which warns of delays ahead when the info is available, usually only in larger cities.
Overall we like it and always take it along in the RV or car.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
My experiences with handhelds are with TOPO maps only; and used for desert and mountain backpack trips. But I have a few Garmins, one quite old and it still works. I had ONE Magellan and that fell apart when I went to change the battery. And that happened in the Maze in SE UT on a nice 115 degree day.
Well, I see you're still here. I guess nothing compares to using it as a tool, not an end all like the millenials seem to do. Had a nice young man pull in my driveway all flustered asking very politely for directions because he was "lost". Said the battery died on his "smart" phone equipped with gps, ironic wouldn't you say!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

Rand McNally RV GPS

We've used the Rand McNally 7730 for several years. It has free lifetime maps and campgrounds, Walmarts, travel centers, RV service, and more in it so we don't have to use other apps. You enter your RVs info into it so you don't have to worry about height/weight. TechnoRV has several videos online showing how they work if you want to see one.
http://www.youtube.com/technorv
Lincoln11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #7

On a cell phone or tablet...Co-Pilot app downloads maps and is NOT dependent on data feed from cell towers...nice feature set and looks and feels like a "standard" GPS nav system for a lot less money...you CAN enter the height of your RV for routing safety or you can buy their RV specific app for about $50 that gives you more preferences and RV database POI's.

In a stand alone RV GPS...we have the expensive and good Garmin 760LMT which we've been very pleased with using a bean bag mount on the dashboad. NOTHING is perfect though and this is particularly true with point of interest databases in with the destination is not precise as a pure address would be. Last trip we "arrived" at an RV Park from the database which was actually a residential cul de sac! Putting in the actual address (after using our phone app) gave the correct location about 4 miles away. Moral.... Always have 2 GPS alternatives!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #8

I second camaraderie's recommendation for the CoPilot GPS app and for using more than one source of nav data. I prefer paper maps (atlas) for big picture situation awareness that is difficult to impossible to see on any electronic display.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #9

We had a Factory Navigation unit in our VW GTI. While VW Nav was OK in the city, we still used our old Garmin when travelling South as it was more reliable. We since bought a VW Tiguan and bought a Garmin nüviCam™ LMTHD GPS with Built-in Dash Cam. The 6" screen is great. The Dashcam works well and the GPS enhanced features are really good. It is not cheap but definitely is worth checking out.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #10

Have a Magellan 9250LTM(life time maps. very nice unit, I own 4 other Magellan units, have had no problems. This Magellan has a wireless back up camera available($115.00), attaches to back up light and attaches to license plate frame. very happy w all my Magellan's and the maps
windowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #11

I use a Rand McNally rv version.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln11 View Post
We've used the Rand McNally 7730 for several years. It has free lifetime maps and campgrounds, Walmarts, travel centers, RV service, and more in it so we don't have to use other apps. You enter your RVs info into it so you don't have to worry about height/weight. TechnoRV has several videos online showing how they work if you want to see one.
http://www.youtube.com/technorv
Yeah, we used the Good Sam version of the 7730 for one day and one day only, after entering the RV info it routed us on the most narrow, curve filled, dangerous roads we had ever been on.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #13

We have been happy with Garmin's dezl™ 560LMT
Old 09-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #14

Rand McNally

Did you turn on the Rv mode?
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorSnrub View Post
Did you turn on the Rv mode?
Yes, we use RV Mode. You tell the GPS how long and how high you are, and the GPS routes you accordingly.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #16

I don’t have any experience with the Magellan GPS but I have used both the Rand McNally and the Garmin for RV’s. To be honest, I think it’s six of one half dozen of another. They both have their pluses and minuses. Buy the one you like, but know it will have mapping errors and at times screwy routes. Don’t rely on any GPS for accuracy and always plan and verify the route to your destination.

Here’s some unsolicited advice, whichever GPS you buy, be sure to update the maps and download and read the manual before using it. It will make your GPS experience much better.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:33 AM   #17

Have had GPS units for years. But nothing beats good old Smart Phones . We use Google Maps on the Samsung 6 phone for up to date accurate info. This last trip to Ludington, Michigan Garmin couldn't give us directions to two locations. Smart phone came thru 100%...
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #18

Just bought the Rand McNalley 7730 LTM and am using it on our first trip to WA Seems to be working well. I need to get the optional sun visor to cut down on the reflections.

Fred
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote