Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #1

Possessed thermostat

Just took our new Leprichaun out for her maiden voyage close to home. The temperature dropped before we left but thought it ok since we have heat via heat pump and furnace. I fiddled with that thermostat over and over and still could not make it behave. The touch screen is so sensitive it comes on and flips to another setting just when someone walks by. Has anyone had this problem?
SpyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
Site Team

That seems really odd. It's like the capacitive screen is super sensitive.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

Dry air and static electricity.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #4

I have the same problem on my Forester. The MH is in for warranty work now and the touchy thermostat is one of the things on the list.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

What brand thermostat is it? I have a Dometic and seems to do what it wants sometimes, getting locked up and then spazzes out clocking all over the place.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:02 PM   #6

Yes, doc, it will suddenly spin up the numbers to the 90s! We had a couple other small issues so we will take it in for those and hope the thermostat can be worked on. I did look on line and found a manual page, so I have a better idea of how to work the thing. The books that came with it only show how to install it!
SpyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #7

The Dometic thermostat in our Forester works well but is in a bad location for us.
Walking past it between the bed and wall, it's almost impossible not to brush against it and change a setting. I've learned I don't really need to touch it to make a change as long as my finger is close enough. If the touch sensitivity isn't adjustable, I may move it.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #8

Yes, my thermostat is possessed!
utterback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #9

don't you just love modern technology???
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
Casey & Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
The Dometic thermostat in our Forester works well but is in a bad location for us.
Walking past it between the bed and wall, it's almost impossible not to brush against it and change a setting. I've learned I don't really need to touch it to make a change as long as my finger is close enough. If the touch sensitivity isn't adjustable, I may move it.
2X
Couldn't figure out what was going on for about 6 trips. Mine will even change temps if the wall was bumped or turn off or on other switches mounted to the same wall. Operating the slides or awing switches mounted to the same wall. Added an 1/8 X 1/2 strip between the mounting holes on the back of the thermostat. Seems to have lessened the amount of times the temperature is accidentally changed.
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 CC Cummins Powered
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #11

I have placed this issue on my warranty request (long list). Hopefully the will send a new thermostat!
utterback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #12
Casey & Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by utterback View Post
I have placed this issue on my warranty request (long list). Hopefully the will send a new thermostat!
Prime Time sent me 2 thermostats and Dometic sent me the curcuit board. None of them fixed the problem. Not saying what I'd did is the fix yet or not but so for in 2 trips my thermostat has stayed where I set it. Usually at least once on every trip it would develop a mind of its own.
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 CC Cummins Powered
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyBee View Post
Just took our new Leprichaun out for her maiden voyage close to home. The temperature dropped before we left but thought it ok since we have heat via heat pump and furnace. I fiddled with that thermostat over and over and still could not make it behave. The touch screen is so sensitive it comes on and flips to another setting just when someone walks by. Has anyone had this problem?
I just installed an Ecobee wifi t-stat in my home in Florida. It has a motion sensor that changes it from a static display screen to a programmable screen any time someone approaches. Be sure there is a good ground connection between the unit being controlled and the stat itself. This is a very important connection with these electronic devices.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat