Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 12:40 AM   #1

Power Inserter- DO NOT REMOVE

I have read and searched till i'm seeing cross eyed! Do I need a power inserter and can I take the one that says do not remove or do I have to buy another one? I'm trying to hook up Direct tv in my rv with my home equipment (HR54-500) and a slim line dish on a tripod. Thanks Scott
hingeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:51 AM   #2

Power Inserter- DO NOT REMOVE

Yes, you need a power inserter for the DirecTv SWiM system, which you have, based on your receiver model and your mention of the Slimline dish. You can use the same power inserter in your home and in your RV. No need to buy another one.

Bruce
Old 09-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #3

agreed, you can use the ones from home. but after moving all the associated equipment (power inserter, power bricks, power cables, remotes) back and forth a few times i bought a set off ebay and keep them permanently in the trailer. now all if have to move back and forth is the receiver itself, video bridge, and wireless receivers. it's much easier.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the help! What is a video bridge?
Old 10-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #5

A video bridge hooks into the swm coax that the hr54 receiver uses. It transmits from the main receiver to what they call mini genie receivers. The hook up to remote tv’s and communicate with the main receiver wirelessly. Each tv, the one connected to the main receiver and the ones connected to the wireless bridge can view their own content independent from each other and with no coax required between the main receiver and the remote tv’s.
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #6

Thanks again for the help! Unfortunately, my mini genies are wired. Right now, I'd be happy with one main tv in the RV. That beats no tv for 2 weeks on our last trip! Do I need anything else besides what I have at home now to make one tv work in the rv like a splitter or video bridge? We're getting ready to leave again soon so if I need any other items, I need to order soon. Scott
Old 10-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #7

Yes, you will need a splitter that has power pass through capabilities. But you should already have that at home. Suggestion, unscrew the home antenna coax where it is connected to either the power inserted or power splitter. The take everything after that up to and including the receiver. Put it all in the RV and plug your RV antenna in where your home antenna was plugged in. Don’t forget the various power supplies and remotes. Plug an hdmi cable into your rv tv and into the receiver. Don’t forget this either. If you have to disconnect things use masking tape to identify each cable and the place it is lugged into. If you can try this before the trip even better. Label each connector as it is now at home so you can move it and reattach it when you get home
Old 10-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #8

Thanks CHICKDOE, I have a splitter ordered and as soon as it arrives, I'll try it. The splitter on the house is up in the eaves with a bunch of cables hooked to it and not very accessible. Thanks again for the help!
Old 10-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #9

Better to not touch anything in the house. If you have a problem after you get back, you'll have to call DirecTv for a service call. Just bring one or 2 of your receivers from home. Leave everything else intact.

Check out https://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/index....ct_detail&p=85 for a power inserter that you can install in the RV and leave it there.

Also, aligning/finding sats. with a SWiM system is a little more difficult because the cheap in-line signal meters don't work due to the 21v DC that the inserter sends through the coax. It takes more expensive meters to work with the SWiM system.

I started with a Slimeline/tripod setup years ago and it can be frustrating at times but, it can be done. Just be patient.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #10

Wow. I just saw that TV4RV (which is just an online/web ad for a real business) is FOR SALE. That guy has really helped me.

The meter that works best, though not cheap, is the SATLOOK LITE. It made pointing the dish easy, and without it I struggled.

EDIT: Just for info for Direct customers......I just had a service call at home. AT&T Truck, and AT&T tech came. My dish is on the roof of my house, and the LNB was cracked. They put a new one in.

While he was here, I asked a question about the tv in the camper (I have protection plan for all my tv's with them. The tech said "Since AT&T bought Direct, I can no longer step foot in any RV for any reason"...............

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #11

It’s really not as hard or as complicated as it might sound.

There’s no need for a meter to locate the satellites. All you need is a level, a compass and to know where you are on earth. You don’t even need any phone apps, but they do make it easier to get a rough idea for where you should setup your dish to avoid obstructions and to let you know the azimuth, angle and skew/tilt for your dish. When I first jumped into taking DirecTv with me on the road, I really fretted over how I would find the satellites without a meter. I looked everywhere for a meter that wouldn’t cost me an arm and a leg, then I quit looking after talking on the phone with the owner of Tv4RV for about an hour. He taught me how to do it with just a compass and a level, using one of his tripods. I was skeptical, but after buying one of his tripods, I went out to my driveway and tried it out. The first attempt took a little time — about 30 minutes — but it worked! After that, it got easier and easier, as I didn’t have to look at my notes and I had a routine worked out. Now it takes me about 5-10 minutes to set everything up and to be watching DirecTv, no matter where I am. I usually do my work outside, then go inside to check my TV and I am connected. I might go back outside to do some fine-tuning sometimes, but usually my signals are strong enough where I don’t need to bother.

I carrry about 150’ Of coax cable with me so I can put the tripod and dish just about anywhere I want in case I need to find a hole through the trees for the optimal signal strength from all three satellites.

Bruce
Old 10-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #12

that quote from the the direct tv technician was exactly what i experienced. they will not support an rv installation. and this applies to the call in tech support also. if you have to call in, do not mention an rv.

i also got tired of moving everything from house to rv and back. so i went to ebay and bought an extra power inserter, splitter, power bricks, and remotes that stay in the rv. all i move back and forth and the actual boxes; receiver, video bridge, and mini genies.

i have a splitter due to the video bridge. if all the op wants to do is run the receiver he probably will not need a splitter. if a splitter is used make sure it is a direct tv splitter that has the power pass through capability. it is not the same as the common cable tv splitter.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #13

As far as Direct not setting foot in an RV: we were just at a NASCAR race in Las Vegas a few weeks ago and there were both Direct and Dish service vehicles cruising the RV parking lots helping whoever flagged them down or called the number on one of the pamphlets handed out by the track. Same as at any other races we have been to.

Don't know why it would be different if you called their support line directly, but who knows.

We have always had Dish and will not change. They even have an RV tech group you can talk to.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
As far as Direct not setting foot in an RV: we were just at a NASCAR race in Las Vegas a few weeks ago and there were both Direct and Dish service vehicles cruising the RV parking lots helping whoever flagged them down or called the number on one of the pamphlets handed out by the track. Same as at any other races we have been to.

Don't know why it would be different if you called their support line directly, but who knows.

We have always had Dish and will not change. They even have an RV tech group you can talk to.
Don't doubt it. That's what ticks me off about both of these companies. They say this, then do that. You love Dish, that's great, but man, I had terrible, TERRIBLE service from them. I've actually had great service from Direct. And remember, this was an AT&T truck/tech that told me that. I dealt with AT&T for years when I worked. They are hard to deal with many times. So, I blame that for such a comment. DISH is DISH, as far as I know, and not owned by someone else since they spun off from Echostar.

They are the only two real players in town. Many folks seem as loyal to one as they do trucks. They both work.........but there sure does seem to be massive regional differences.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

Probably private contractors/franchises authorized to install/ service DirecTv or DISH.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Wow. I just saw that TV4RV (which is just an online/web ad for a real business) is FOR SALE. That guy has really helped me.

The meter that works best, though not cheap, is the SATLOOK LITE. It made pointing the dish easy, and without it I struggled.

EDIT: Just for info for Direct customers......I just had a service call at home. AT&T Truck, and AT&T tech came. My dish is on the roof of my house, and the LNB was cracked. They put a new one in.

While he was here, I asked a question about the tv in the camper (I have protection plan for all my tv's with them. The tech said "Since AT&T bought Direct, I can no longer step foot in any RV for any reason"...............

X2 on having stuff & advise that has also helped me. BTW, did you read his details on the sale of his business? Tangible & intangible property valued at approx. $320,000!!

Tags
power