Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #1

Angry Power outage and Dometic fridge

I have my TT at a seasonal site, and keep it on 120 AV power at all times. Over the weekend, the site lost power. My Dometic fridge tried to kick over to LPG, which failed, and caused the "Check" light to light light up. A short time later, the power came back on, but the "check" light stayed on, and the fridge never kicked back to 120 AC power. The whole time, the "Auto" button was depressed. Is this normal? It seems that my going into "check" mode, the fridge stayed in some sort of fault mode. Needless to say, the contents of the fridge and freezer were lost. I called Dometic, but they were of no help. Any insight or experience with this is welcome!
ahrendt4871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #2

You have to turn off all power, both 120 VAC and 12 VDC, to reset the computer.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #3

Will this prevent the problem of the fridge not kicking back to 120AC in the event of a power loss?
ahrendt4871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

You have to leave the propane on and have the lines bled of air for the fridge to ignite and run on propane. If it lites, and the power comes back on it will switch back to 120 VAC. If it doesn't lite, then you have what happened to you.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #5

Any time you go into a fault (check light) you have to shut it off and start over otherwise it will stay in a fault condition forever.
walljammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by walljammer View Post
Any time you go into a fault (check light) you have to shut it off and start over otherwise it will stay in a fault condition forever.
X2
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #7

How are your batteries? It cannot run on LP without 12V DC. Not sure why it didn't come back over when power came back on, but if your batteries are shot it might cause issues.
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
X2
X3

That's why they call it "LOCKOUT"

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #9

We had a problem with our fridge on our first major trip with our Windjammer. When we got to our destination it wasn't working. Called support and the person who came out said we had blown the fusable link (it's like a fuse only a wire) inside the fridge because the wind had blown out the gas flame too many times and the link melted. He had to take a goodly amount of the refrigerator apart to get at it, and said it had happened to a couple other people who owned this model. He told us to always shut off the refrigerator when we were traveling. We haven't had the problem since. I still wonder about it because we always towed with the refrigerator on gas (for 34 years and two trailers) or 12 volt (which this one doesn't have except for operating system (not cooling) as far as I can tell. The link has not blown since even with a 6 month extended stay where the unit was on the whole time. Don't know if anyone else had that problem or not.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
We had a problem with our fridge on our first major trip with our Windjammer. When we got to our destination it wasn't working. Called support and the person who came out said we had blown the fusable link (it's like a fuse only a wire) inside the fridge because the wind had blown out the gas flame too many times and the link melted. He had to take a goodly amount of the refrigerator apart to get at it, and said it had happened to a couple other people who owned this model. He told us to always shut off the refrigerator when we were traveling. We haven't had the problem since. I still wonder about it because we always towed with the refrigerator on gas (for 34 years and two trailers) or 12 volt (which this one doesn't have except for operating system (not cooling) as far as I can tell. The link has not blown since even with a 6 month extended stay where the unit was on the whole time. Don't know if anyone else had that problem or not.

I believe that there is a fix for that. A baffle that you can get from Dometic. There is a thread or two on it if you search for it. I haven't worried about it as our Windjammer is on seasonal site.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:35 PM   #11

Hey, thanks for the information. I will check it out. The Dometic (thetford) main office is in our town and only a couple of miles from us. If I can't find the thread, I will call them. I didn't know they made a baffle for the problem, so didn't even bother to look for it.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge, power