Old 03-26-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Pre-wire back up/observation camera....

Just received the furrion observation/back up camera. Installed it on my 2015 rockwood 2104 (still under warranty) on the bracket already in place.

Nothing. Camera wouldn't sync with monitor and constant pairing failed messages. Used the test jack on the monitor power cord to power the camera, camera/monitor work fine in the cab of my truck.

Took a volt meter and tested jack behind trailer with running lights- nothing, no voltage. With back-up lights, no voltage.

Just had my knee replaced last month and don't know if I should be messing around trying to troubleshoot line faults. I have to tow trailer 2 hours with a $20 toll for a warranty repair. In a prior life and galaxy far far away worked as electrician/electronics technician so I still know a little. Enough to get me into trouble at least.

Maybe I am missing something obvious.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Thanks!!

razor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Pre-wire back up/observation camera....

My camera was installed when I bought the trailer so I didn't have to do the install -- but my power wire is always hot. It's not made hot with running lights or reverse. I can leave my truck in the garage, plug my monitor in the 12v socket in the trailer's bedroom, turn on the monitor and I get a clear picture of what's behind the trailer.

I suspect your power wire is not attached on the battery end since there was nothing on the load end when it left the factory.
HTH

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #3

Check the fuses, maybe it is not even installed since the unit did't have a camera, or maybe it is blown.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
Check the fuses, maybe it is not even installed since the unit did't have a camera, or maybe it is blown.
I'm positive my unit is different (seems no two are alike) but I looked and I don't have a fuse in my power center marked for my camera. I assume it's inline near the battery but I didn't check.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #5

I hope you don't have to take it to Chesaco RV. You'll be 6 months waiting.
I helped my buddy install his. We had to call Forest River to find an inline fuse had blown. We would have never found it otherwise. It was a fifth wheel but it was inside a cabinet behind a panel towards the back of unit. Why could this not be with the other fuses? Ridiculous! Might want to call FR first. Dont settle for one call he used 3 or 4 different numbers before getting someone who knew. I could check with him for number but sure he called the Wildcat factory.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #6

I'll check the fuses tomorrow. If it's an in-line fuse, it could be anywhere. It depends upon the worker who installs the wire mood that day where they put it. They don't document it either.

Its not Chesaco but dealer I bought from can be just as bad. I really, really don't want to take it to dealer for warranty claim for a 12 volt circuit.

I'm physically not ready to be low crawling underneath trailer or running up/down ladder for an extended time. I went up/down today about 10 times installing the camera and trying to get it to sync, knee swelled up double and have been on ice/meds since.

Thanks for the feedback. Fingers crossed, its a just a normal fuse. The fuse for the electric side of my water heater wasn't installed. I caught that at pre-delivery.
razor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
TGR

My Wildcat 5th wheel came with the factory installed Voyager camera. My camera was always on unless I opened my battery disconnect switch.

The trailerís rear view cameraís power was wired directly to the load side of the battery disconnect switch with an inline fuse holder near the disconnect switch. I installed a 12V switch in series with the camera power and now turn it off when not hauling the trailer.

In other discussion on this site, owners have found the fuse blown or perhaps missing. Youíll have to locate the fuse holder to check it out.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #8

Red face No power to pre wired Furrion observation camera

Have the identical issue with my newly acquired fifth wheel (i.e. Pre wired but no life in connector cable) and 70 miles to the dealer. After speaking to Furrion, the trailer maker and the dealer it is going to take some disassembly of the rear trailer cap to either determine where the line failed or run a new wire to the closest running light. The good news is I don't have to pay a toll between me and Salt Lake City!!
Old 03-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #9

Have a Silverback 29re Camera gets voltage from the running lights
Old 03-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #10

Easiest solution would be to get power from nearest clearance light (should only be a few inches from camera mount). I did this to mine because it was wired to back-up circuit and I wanted to use going down the road. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1459100072.815975.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  88.0 KB