Old 06-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #11

You don't say what model fridge or TT you have. TT's with the fridge in the slide have more problems cooling because the hot air from the back of the unit has to go out the side of the slide instead of up out of the roof of the RV. Many folks have installed small computer fans in the back of their fridges to assist with cooling. See here, for example:

Fridge Fan- Where Do I??

My fridge isn't in my slide, but it's not cooling as well as I'd like, so I'm planning to do the same. Fans are on order.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCat View Post
Hi - We are relatively new to RVing. We just had our unit out for its third camping trip. The Dometic fridge took about 12 hours to cool to an acceptable temperature, despite being reasonably leveled once in our campsite and having it on the coolest setting. The campsite was only a 2-hour drive from where we store our RV, and we had turned the fridge on before departing. It switched over from gas to electric as soon as we were hooked up, but it still took forever to really cool down.

We did receive some helpful advice by phone from Dometic. They had my husband shift a lever of some sort inside the fridge compartment. (Sorry, I don't know exactly what it was.) But I'm wondering - since we haven't camped much yet - if this is typical, and what the best way is to cool the fridge quickly and keep it at an optimum temperature (we kept having to adjust it all weekend). We plan to take a long RV trip next year, and consistent food storage temp will be more of an issue. Thanks!
I found that when I put a small battery driven fan at the bottom of the fridge it cools down much faster that without the fan. I bought it at Camping World.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Agree with all above and turn ours on a few days before the trip.
Ours lives in the back yard. Wife requires me to hook it up 24 hours before we go so it's cold when she loads AND she loads most everything pre chilled

The Domestic guy probably had him move a little metal slide on a cooling fin on the right side that acts like a thermostat adjustment.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
The Domestic guy probably had him move a little metal slide on a cooling fin on the right side that acts like a thermostat adjustment.
LittleCat: FYI - The little slide contains a thermistor. You slide it up for colder and down for warmer. And beware: they tend to slide down on their on while you're on the road bouncing around. If you have this problem, a small binder clip can help.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:45 AM   #15

Fridge issues

We live in New England and are seasonal campers. Our domestic fridge runs April thru October. It maintains fair temp spring and fall but July and August it's a stretch to freeze bread. Sounds like you got some great advice here though.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCat View Post
Hi - We are relatively new to RVing. We just had our unit out for its third camping trip. The Dometic fridge took about 12 hours to cool to an acceptable temperature, despite being reasonably leveled once in our campsite and having it on the coolest setting. The campsite was only a 2-hour drive from where we store our RV, and we had turned the fridge on before departing. It switched over from gas to electric as soon as we were hooked up, but it still took forever to really cool down.

We did receive some helpful advice by phone from Dometic. They had my husband shift a lever of some sort inside the fridge compartment. (Sorry, I don't know exactly what it was.) But I'm wondering - since we haven't camped much yet - if this is typical, and what the best way is to cool the fridge quickly and keep it at an optimum temperature (we kept having to adjust it all weekend). We plan to take a long RV trip next year, and consistent food storage temp will be more of an issue. Thanks!
Your unit has a 8cf,side wall mount,top EX,refer! These Normally are the easy to cool with a" Little Help"! Inside Frig fan install/ start frig on Batt/Propane at the Storage lot the night before use/ you have a Very Large RV so make sure the Vents are Open to Expel the Heat/you will need MaxAir vent covers to be safe from Rain/need to add/have at least 2 Batteries to run the refer and vents overnight/ or install a Generator! RV refers or Home type take POWER there is no easy way around "NO POWER"! Youroo!!
Old 06-20-2016, 05:16 AM   #17

Does anybody get a lot of ice build up in freezer when running for a long time? That's what is happening to mine now.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkotis5 View Post
Does anybody get a lot of ice build up in freezer when running for a long time? That's what is happening to mine now.
The ice is the result of moisture in the air inside the refrigerator condensing on the cooling fins and in the freezer compartment and then freezing. The more you open your doors, the more air is admitted and the quicker the ice builds.

If the ice builds while it is parked and running for an extended time you have an air leak in the seals on the doors.

Turning it off and thawing is the only solution to the ice build up. The ice on the fins will melt and fall into a tray that is supposed to be drained to the outside through the exterior refrigerator access panel. The ice that melts in the freezer will have to be removed with a sponge or towel as there is no drain for the freezer compartment.

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
TST TPMS system w/ Flow-thru sensors
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #19

dometic dm2652 FREEZER WORKS NOT FRIDGE

Well i might have found the stupid problem that makes freezer work but the fridge is warm problem. Open the rear access panel and look on top of the fridge if the cheezy insulationhas fell over the coils not allowing fridge to cool the coils this will stop the fridge from coolin, I placed a fan at the access panel for few hours and our fridge was so cold almost froze half gallon of milk, and it never worked from day one, i assume the insulation was from factory, quick fix in 5 min, if you cant see your roof vent then you have the same problem
Old 06-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #20
Site Team

Good catch!

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge