Old 02-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #1

Propane Out or Battery Smoked?

I recently went camping this weekend (boondock) in my Rockwood 2280BHESP and had 2 full propane tanks and during the day I know I used a lot of propane to heat during the day but at night it totally stopped heating. I switched propane tanks and the heater wouldn't work. Could it be that my battery was drained so much that it wouldn't spark to get the propane heated? Anyone else run into this problem as I need to know if I just need to bring a whole mess of propane ar need just a new battery?

TexDave44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #2

The furnace drains a ton of power. Probably the battery.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #3

Were your lights working? If they were, then your battery wasn’t dead.

I know my heater really burns through the propane when I run it all night.
Teresa CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #4

Try turning on your cook stove. No electricity required so if you have LP you should be able to light it with a handheld igniter.
Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery?
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #5

Is the stove getting propane? Heater will not work without 12V power, so I'd guess battery.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #6

The lights were working but I have small 9v lights and only had 1 on for like 10 minutes
Old 02-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #7

I need to get a voltmeter and when I got back from camping I hooked it up to a trickle charger until I head out again in a few weeks. Looking back at all the responses, I'm sure it is a battery issue now. Thanks for all the replies!!!
Old 02-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Could be either. If you emptied one tank then you lost pressure in the lines. If you turn on the second tank one of two things could have happened. If you turned it on too fast you could have activated the open flow safety valve a small amount of air in the lines. If it is the safety valve, turn the good tank off wait about 4 minutes then turn it on very slowly until you hear fuel flowing, Wait about 30 seconds and continue opening it. If the lights are dim then you may have drained the battery too low.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #9

I also agree that you need to have and need to learn how to use a simple, inexpensive volt/amp meter. Your problem does sound more to be a low battery problem.These are available at Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, and other stores. I seem to remember that there is a "low voltage" point at which an RV heating system will not light. Please-others help me on that. LED lighting will work efficiently to the eye at something like 4 volts DC and I'm thinking that 9 volts is the furnace low voltage point. One thing you can do provided that there is a town nearby, is take the battery out of the RV, take it to an auto parts store and have it tested for 1) Current voltage status, and 2) a load test which will tell you IF the battery sort of "nose dives" then put under a load. They have the tools to do this, and they sell affordable volt meters. You stated that you are boondocking. Do you have a generator? IF so then you might want to consider a battery charger to use during the day dedicated to charging that one battery that you have. Running the RV from a genny during the day will only provide a "maintenance dose" of charge to the battery. IF you do not have a genny available, explain your situation to the auto parts store and I'm betting that the people there will charge you battery for free.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #10

Let us know. What you find and if still a problem tell us what the furnace does when starting.

I had issues once when plugged in. Furnace would not light and burners would. I swapped the regulator and things were better but when the second tank kicked in the pigtail was bad and blocked propane at higher rates some how. I had multiple issues. I ended up swapping the working pigtail to the full tank to get working. I swapped both pigtails out once I got parts later.

dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, propane