Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #1

Propane System Not Working

On a 200 mile trip I intially had the genset running for the roof air but after shutting it off I noticed that the fridge wouldn't light on propane so I assumed their was air system so I tried to light the stove and I couldn't hear any gas coming out when I turned on all burners nor did I smell propane. I then turned on the propane hot water heater and found out that the light that has been on when I turn it on doesn't verify it is on but means it needs a reset (no light). I was at a truck stop so I checked onboard moniter which showed 2 squares (out of 5) of propane and the gauge on the propane tank showed 1/4 tank. Assuming the gauge were wrong I had the station fill my tank and watched someone who wasn't sure what to do (neither was I) fill up the tank. After a few stumbles and looks of confusion he took the cap off of my tank (30 gallon) filling port then hooked up the propane nozzle then he opened the valve (I turned off after realizing there was problem). The tank took 11 gallons and gauge was at 75% but still nothing worked. I read the label on the tank (where is a operators manual when you need it) and it said to purge the tank after filling so I opened a small valve that is above the main valve and heard gas escaping then after a few seconds I could smell propane so I shut it off. I then closed and opened the main valve on the tank but then again none of the propane appliances worked. I thought I had the furnace and hot water heater on the day I bought it but now believe neither was working. Thanks in advance for any assistance or information.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #2

Playing with the propane system would make me nervous. You have a lot more issues than might easily be solved 100% at a truck stop. Do yourself a favor...call the dealer and let them do a total replacement of your tanks and valve system. You need to be absolutely positive how much propane you have and how it is being vented to appliances. If you aren't certain how much you have doesn't that make you nervous? My advice get the dealer to replace the valves and refill the tanks from zero.

Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #3

Thanks Alan
After searching forums and doing a process of elimination myself I realized I switched the LP Gas Detector off that was inside (by entry stairs) and it also controls the propane flow. When I turned it back on there is a green light that illuminates that signifies gas can flow everything came back on.

I wasn't as worried as bewildered because the previous owners used everything and I figured (and hope) that a problem didn't develop that fast. What I am finding with all my problems thus far is lack of familiarization of this MH.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #4

That makes me a whole lot happier and calmer. It is amazing Rowekmr how many things can go wrong with so many other things on a Motorhome. A long, long list.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote