Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

Proper TV antenna hookup

2014 Georgetown 328TS
Has control center for electronics (don't know the term, but basically I can toggle between Antenna, Cable and Satellite)
And also a plate that has the booster button, a cable outlet and a cigarette lighter looking thingie all on the same plate.

Okay, so I'm getting HORRIBLE TV antenna reception. So I'm wondering about the connections.

So I have this control center (black box with the toggle switches) and it has cable wires connected to it, all bundled together and connected to the back of this black box.

One thing I'm noticing is that all the wires are coming from the same area, but there is not a connection between this plate that has the booster button and cable outlet in that same plate.

Is there supposed to be a cable wire connected to that cable outlet to the black box? There is a cable already in the antenna connection of that box, but it's coming from the general bundle that also includes the connections for cable and the satellite.

Back when I had a Travel Trailer, all I had was one TV and that same plate with the booster button and the cable connection was from that same plate to the TV.

I'm assuming the cable that is attached to the antenna section of the black box is actually the cable from the rooftop TV antenna? However, I took a short cable and attached it from that plate with the booster and then to the black box (disconnecting the cable from the antenna section) and I got a few more channels for the TV. Is that weird or is something not wired right?

BTW, the rooftop antenna is a Roadster 3000 I believe and it's Omnidirectional, but it has horrible reception. I bought a TV antenna from Walmart and just attached it to the black box and the antenna is sitting INSIDE the motorhome and it picked up 30 channels instead of 5 from the rooftop antenna. I'm a bit disgusted at that unless perhaps I'm doing something wrong?
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #2

Yes the Weinguard Roadstar is an omni directional antenna. The amplifier is in the antenna head and is powered by 12 Volts DC from the wall plate the antenna connects to. If the antenna isn't getting power to it, the whole thing is worse than rabbit ears (2 or 3 really strong stations recieved). Take the coax cable off the antenna. Test for 12 volts At that point. Check for corroded roof top connections.

Let me know and I can tell U where to test next.
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #3

I doubt any issues with corrosion in a brand new rig.
Try these checks first.

1. I had a new 2012 Georgetown and had a similar issue but it was bad install at factory and all it was that the cable connector center conductor still had a clear shield on it making a bad connection. So I would check the center conductors on all the connections.

2. Are you sure you have the TV input setup correctly?
It can be HDMI cable, or regular coax cable, etc.

3. Now you do know you must do a channel scan in the TV so it knows all the local channels by signal strength. If you don't do this scan in the setup section of the TV it won't pickup any good channels.

Check these things for ripping things apart.
good Luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna