Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #1

Question about a LG refrigerator

I have a 2018 Artic Wolf and it has a full size LG refrigerator in it. I have had the unit for about 10 months now and it has been parked in a RV park since I got it . I stay in it 5 nights a week, I work out of town. On 7/3 I moved it from Marietta Ga back to my house in Alabama. Now here is the procedure I don’t know about. It will be parked in my driveway till 7/7. I didn’t know if the battery would last that l so I turned the inverter off and thought the refrigerator would switch to propane but it started warming up so I made a fast trip to get a 50amp to 115 plug and plugged it up to the house and turned the inverter back on. Frige started back cooling. What did I do wrong for the propane not to work?
Thanks for any help.
Artic wolf 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #2

The full size LG fridge is not capable of running on propane. It is a 115V only fridge. That is why there is an inverter in the camper dedicated to the fridge.
2019 Sandpiper FLOK
Tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #3

Well l guess that’s why it won’t work. My mistake was “assuming” that since there was 3 gas lines going up in that area one was for the frige, one for the stove and one for the water heater. Thank you for the information. So do I leave the inverter on all of the time?
Old 07-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #4

I do. That way if I lose power it switches over to the inverter. others turn it off. It is supposed to bypass the inverter when it is plugged into shore power.
My guess is one line to water heater, one to stove, one to oven.
Tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
Site Team

That's the problem with residential fridges for us dry campers and boondockers. No propane option.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
Coach

Everybody is right on with the fridge only running on electric. Unless you have a heavy duty battery bank, I wouldn't expect more than a day if you can even get that on battery/inverter power. As far as turning the inverter off, that's a choice of preference. They automatically switch to standby when you're plugged into shore power. Leaving them on gives your fridge backup power in case of a power outage, but then it's also another item that's on in the rv even if it is in standby.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
CGK
Camping with Labs

With 2 marine "deep cycle" batteries, our LG fridge/inverter will pretty much drain the batteries in a matter of hours - not days. Should work fine on shore power, though. Don't forget to turn off the ice maker if you are running the fridge without being connected to a clean water supply.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
With 2 marine "deep cycle" batteries, our LG fridge/inverter will pretty much drain the batteries in a matter of hours - not days. Should work fine on shore power, though. Don't forget to turn off the ice maker if you are running the fridge without being connected to a clean water supply.
Marine dual-purpose batteries are not true deep cycle batteries. If you had at least two 6v golf cart batteries, you'd get more hours of usage.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
CGK
Camping with Labs

Bikendan - "Marine dual-purpose batteries are not true deep cycle batteries. If you had at least two 6v golf cart batteries, you'd get more hours of usage."
.....hence the quotation marks. These are just cheap dealer-provided batteries. Not sure I'm ready to step up to 6 volt batteries just yet, but I used AGM in our previous TT and they were a lot better. I was disappointed at the speed with which the "deep cycle" batteries ran out of juice from that converter. Thanks for the tip!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Bikendan - "Marine dual-purpose batteries are not true deep cycle batteries. If you had at least two 6v golf cart batteries, you'd get more hours of usage."
.....hence the quotation marks. These are just cheap dealer-provided batteries. Not sure I'm ready to step up to 6 volt batteries just yet, but I used AGM in our previous TT and they were a lot better. I was disappointed at the speed with which the "deep cycle" batteries ran out of juice from that converter. Thanks for the tip!
If you can afford them, AGM is a better choice. Thanx for mentioning them.

Tags
refrigerator