Old 05-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

Question about hooking up satellite dish to pvr

We use our Flagstaff 27rlws as a cottage (no tow vehicle). Out in the middle of no where in southern Alberta with only 1 over the air tv channel available. We recently got a satellite dish installed on the shed beside our unit. The tech ran only one coax cable and a ground wire from the dual LNID on the dish to the exterior satellite port on the side of the trailer. Then used the "SAT" port under the television to connect one line to the PVR. (ground wire to the outside power meter post). We have good reception of the channels however, the PVR will not pause nor record as it is supposed to. I suspect that to do so we would need a second coax cable run to the PVR. My question is if anyone can confirm that the following route would work for a second coax cable? Since the roof top antenna is no longer in use can I run a second line from the other LNID to the trailer roof and inline connect to the antenna cable. That wire leads to the "TV" port which is also under the television. The second line could then feed to the other input of the PVR. I think that then the PVR would function fully, but am not sure. I did not ask the install tech as he had already almost refused to do the install at all. Even though the company had approved the install at the rv resort the tech made out like he shouldn't even attempt it. I think his lack of experience kept him from being able to install the second cable. Afraid if I rock the boat the company may unhook me! Thanks in advance for any and all help and suggestions.

Randy and Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #2

The roof top antenna coax runs to the amplifier in your trailer. If that wire is going directly from your dish the picture will be very snowy. My experience has been that you cannot have any electronic device between the dish and your receiver. A splitter is fine. You would need to bypass the amplifier in order for it to work. I think.

2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Stormrider 151. I had not considered the booster in line with the antenna cable. I have decided to leave well enough alone and be happy that we can get multiple channels now.
Really roughing it, eh????
Randy and Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #4

If it does not pause and record it is not a pvr. A second line running in will have nothing to do with that. A second line running in will let you watch something and record something at the same time.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy and Diane View Post
Thanks for your reply Stormrider 151. I had not considered the booster in line with the antenna cable. I have decided to leave well enough alone and be happy that we can get multiple channels now.
Really roughing it, eh????
Yeah. Probably how the cavemen lived
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

Be advised that not all splitters will pass the DC voltage required to run the electronics at the antenna (or booster amps. or whatever)

Those that will pass the DC voltage are marked as such, cost more, and generally will only pass the DC on certain ports, not all ports.

Just to add that to the confusion....
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #7

If your inside satellite box has two tuners, then splitting the cable from LNB should allow you to view one channel and record another. A lot depends on your equipment. Best advice would come from your satellite provider.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #8

(Question about hooking up satellite dish to pvr
We use our Flagstaff 27rlws as a cottage (no tow vehicle). Out in the middle of no where in southern Alberta with only 1 over the air tv channel available. We recently got a satellite dish installed on the shed beside our unit. The tech ran only one coax cable and a ground wire from the dual LNID on the dish to the exterior satellite port on the side of the trailer. Then used the "SAT" port under the television to connect one line to the PVR. (ground wire to the outside power meter post). We have good reception of the channels however, the PVR will not pause nor record as it is supposed to. I suspect that to do so we would need a second coax cable run to the PVR. My question is if anyone can confirm that the following route would work for a second coax cable? Since the roof top antenna is no longer in use can I run a second line from the other LNID to the trailer roof and inline connect to the antenna cable. That wire leads to the "TV" port which is also under the television. The second line could then feed to the other input of the PVR. I think that then the PVR would function fully, but am not sure. I did not ask the install tech as he had already almost refused to do the install at all. Even though the company had approved the install at the rv resort the tech made out like he shouldn't even attempt it. I think his lack of experience kept him from being able to install the second cable. Afraid if I rock the boat the company may unhook me! Thanks in advance for any and all help and suggestions.)

Hi Not sure which service provider you have (Dish or Direct TV)? Which receiver model you have? If the receiver you have dose have DVR capability and was installed and setup correctly by the installer you should be able to pause and restart a show. Skip back about 1 + Hr and record one show at a time with one coax cable.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #9

Just to help confuse you even more, I have a Dish Hopper at home, soon to go into the MH, and it has 3 tuners that I can watch/record on and it only has a single coax coming into the pVR.
jk510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #10

Yep, only one satellite antenna input on back of Hopper. All the magic must happen inside. Best to call Dish and ask them how to handle using in mh. You might need to reauthorize after power is removed for a certain amount of time or other considerations. At least you should not need extra cables from outside.

BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite