Old 03-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #1

Question about squirrel cage on Dometic. air-conditioners.

Is anybody else ever tried to take off the squirrel cage on their dometic air-conditioner ? I cannot get my hands in there or a screwdriver on the screw that holds the band on that holds the squirrel cage to the shaft. I was wondering if anybody whoís actually done it just removed the motor the fan and the squirrel cage together to try to do something with the squirrel cage. I did manage to unloosen the screw quite a bit by putting a screwdriver on an angle in there but the squirrel cage would still not come off. Iím guessing itís stuck in there and I donít want to do any prying so that I do not break something. I know it sounds ridiculous but the only reason Iím trying to get it off is to try to clean it because itís got so much built-up gummy stuff on it and to try to clean it while itís in there with a spray it will be very difficult to keep the chemical and water from going everywhere. Iím Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8069.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	199758

quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #2

You need to pull the motor, then if the cage is tight and will not move, you need to use a wheel puller. If you don't you will be buying a new motor and cage. I have pulled at least 100 in my time in HVAC. Do not use a hammer on the shaft. It will come off with a puller.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
You need to pull the motor, then if the cage is tight and will not move, you need to use a wheel puller. If you don't you will be buying a new motor and cage. I have pulled at least 100 in my time in HVAC. Do not use a hammer on the shaft. It will come off with a puller.
Why do you want to pull it anyway? If you want to just clean it use air. Did it throw a Weight and out of balance? Not much can go wrong with them, except balance and a bad motor or bearing.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

Ok. . Iím ocd thatís why I was going to take off. I know Iím nuts. there is built up crap on the blades that will not clean off. But you have a great point of using air. I donít know why I did not think of that. your info is GREAT. When I called Dometic they did not know it is pressed on and then a c clamp with screw. They told me just had to take off clamp and pull it off. now I do not give a sht how dirty it is, not going to ever take off unless a necessity. Thanks much.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #5

Oh your more then welcome, what people don't realize that is if you let that build up it will increase your amps and could cost you a bearing on the motor and put it out of balance. If you have a lot built up on the blades, use a screw driver or a pick to break it lose. Safe and cool travels to you this season.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #6

Sometimes an old toothbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Oh your more then welcome, what people don't realize that is if you let that build up it will increase your amps and could cost you a bearing on the motor and put it out of balance. If you have a lot built up on the blades, use a screw driver or a pick to break it lose. Safe and cool travels to you this season.
Sometimes an old toothbrush and a little cleaner work surprisingly well.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #7

Even better than a standard toothbrush is one of the modern battery powered toothbrushes. I save the old ones to use for power cleaning small parts or difficult areas.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #8

Shucks, I was hoping someone has removed the motor and squirrel cages. My reason is slightly different. There is a darn piece of loose material or foil tape, inside the duct that rattles terribly. Drives us crazy. Was going to tackle it when we get home.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
Shucks, I was hoping someone has removed the motor and squirrel cages. My reason is slightly different. There is a darn piece of loose material or foil tape, inside the duct that rattles terribly. Drives us crazy. Was going to tackle it when we get home.
Engineer a vacuum cleaner/hose/pick-up device and shove that in there. The suction will pick it up and you can drag it out.
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
The whole assembly will come out, just remove the bolts I think 4 and pull the motor and cage right out, it's pretty easy to do.

Tags
dometic