Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #1

Radio

Anyone change the own radio to another that actually works?? The drive one that came with my Vibe sucks.. lol. USB does not work and the BT doesn’t connect. I just wanna listen to some music while I have a few cocktails!!
modified52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #2

Just curious to others answers, we have never listened to the Radio in a camper as we are rarely in it. I hated when they put in outside speakers in campers as many are so disrespectful of their neighbors.

Back in the day I did change out a lot of car stereos........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by modified52 View Post
Anyone change the own radio to another that actually works?? The drive one that came with my Vibe sucks.. lol. USB does not work and the BT doesn’t connect. I just wanna listen to some music while I have a few cocktails!!

The radio in my ‘15 Rockwood Roo works very well, even pulling in an Alternative Music FM college station 55 miles away that none of our other radios can pull in. The reception does vary, however, if we are camping near mountains, in a valley, near power lines, or while using some of the appliances. Bluetooth works very well, at least with IPhones.

For longer distance AM to pick up baseball ball games I would use a C Crane portable and for music just stream a phone to a portable Bluetooth speaker.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:33 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Anyone change the own radio to another that actually works??
I doubt anyone has done such a thing...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #5

I have a Drive in my 42’ 5th wheel. Hate it. Haven’t figured out how to tune to a station other than using the scan button. Takes forever . Overall it works ok. I was initially gonna change to a standard fm receiver...but don’t have the room in that compartment. Should be an easy change though.
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

I haven't replaced the stock radios in my A-frames. But I have installed power switches to turn them off completely. The speaker "pop" when plugging in or using the disconnect reminds me that the radio is drawing power all the time, and that annoys me.

As far as replacement, these are standard automotive 12V stereo units you can buy at WalMart, Best Buy, and a bunch of other places. Unless you like fixing the cabinetry, you want your new stereo to be the same size as the old one. You may also want to replace your speakers with better quality units.

I don't know about your trailer, but my A-frames only came with one outside speaker, and 2 inside speakers. This confused the FR "techs" doing the wiring, so there is no telling how your speakers are hooked up. My way with 3 speakers is the outside speaker hooks to both left and right rear, and the inside speakers hook to the front left and right terminals. This lets you use the fader to go between inside and outside speakers, and balance between inside speakers.

Finally, automotive stereos have 2 power (+) wires - 1 goes to the ignition key, and the other bypasses the ignition to power a "keep alive" circuit. The keep alive maintains your presets and settings, and allows instant power on, at the cost of some parasitic current. I run both wires through the same switch to completely turn off the stereo when not using. I don't care about settings and presets - you may feel differently.

hope this helps
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Seriously watching this thread. We have a 2012 FR SA 2714 toyhauler and the single din stereo just started acting up.
This single din unit provides audio for the two televisions, and has a CD player and a headphone type jack which I use to plug in an Ipod.
Both televisions have a DVD player as part of the tv.
So, I've done lots of car stereos in my time, but the fact that this unit also provides audio for the televisions has me perplexed.
I have room for a double din, larger stereo, but need it to supply audio for the television. A front port jack and usb port would be great.
Any recommendations?
By the way. Next to this stereo are three switches. Which turn on and off the speakers... Master bdrm. Living area. and outdoor speakers, respectively.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio