Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2008, 04:56 AM   #1

Radio Shack 350 Watt Inverter

Installed a Radio Shack Inverter to supply A/C voltage for fridge while traveling. Before installing I check to see if the inverter was working properly. I supplied power from the battery (12 volts D/C to the input ) and checked the supply voltage from the out put and came up with 99.3 volts A/C, I was looking for at least 110 volts, I called 4 different Radio Shack stores to get answers as to why, but no one could tell me. Well to make a long story short, this inverter has an internal adjustment to increase or decrease out put voltage and I don't recall that in the instructions. In order to make the adjustments one has to open both ends and put the inverter in service to make the changes. This seems odd for the average person to have to go and disassemble to make adjustments and the fact is that the employees of Radio Shack have no clue. Now some of the other brands of inverters do not have adjustments because they have micro processor that do it automatically, no need to take them apart. I just wanted to pass this info on. By the way, after the adjustments were made my inverters out put is 104 volts A/C once I plugged in the fridge and turned it on which put a load on the inverter, the voltage increased to 125 volts A/C, the fridge was operating and my TV was hooked up to the camper and Idling and the alternator on the TV was charging the battery to the camper.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #2

Most of these type devices will not read a "true" output until a load is applied. It probably would have been fine without adjustment once you applied the load the voltage would have gone up to 110-120VAC. The same is true of the AD to DC power "bricks" as well...
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #3

Before any adjustments were made, I hooked it up with the 99 volt reading and then plugged the fridge in, under load the inverter reach 104 volts and the inverter went into alarm. Made and adjustment with no load and increased the out put voltage to 120 volts then plugged the fridge back in and the out put voltage increased to 135 volts, while everything was still connected I adjusted the voltage to 120 volts, all ran good at this point, Checked voltage drop at 7-10th of a volt.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #4

Interesting that you would have to adjust it manually.

glad it worked for ya!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote