Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
KEN9XL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southeastern Massachusetts
Posts: 231
RE: Dometic 13500 btu AC

I own a 2017 F.R. Heritage Glen 272RL which has two slides and 30 ft long.
Only have one AC 13,500 BTU unit for my RV (Dometic).

My AC seems to keep cutting in and out with setting on auto at 72 degrees.
I am camping this weekend and checked with office on park power. They are not and do not have any issues. I checked my filter inside and cleaned it, then replaced and still same results. I switched setting from auto to fan/high.
Even though outside temp is 80 plus and inside is 76, my AC never seems to cool my RV down to 72 degrees until long after night fall, approx 10-11PM.

I have owned RV since new. I don't recall having this problem earlier this year or even last year. Maybe I am losing it and just do not recall.

Is this situation normal? Do others have this same issue?
Am I looking at some sort of problem I must rectify?

Thanks for any help or advice you may offer.
__________________

__________________
Ken & Marie
2017 Heritage Glen 272RL - 34' 4" hitch to bumper (UVW 7294 lbs / hitch 845 lbs)
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (4wd w/tow pkg) 5.3 litre engine, rear axle ratio 3.42, & 9200 lb tow capacity
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
RiderBloke
 
RiderBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sanford, MI
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
I own a 2017 F.R. Heritage Glen 272RL which has two slides and 30 ft long.

Only have one AC 13,500 BTU unit for my RV (Dometic).



My AC seems to keep cutting in and out with setting on auto at 72 degrees.

I am camping this weekend and checked with office on park power. They are not and do not have any issues. I checked my filter inside and cleaned it, then replaced and still same results. I switched setting from auto to fan/high.

Even though outside temp is 80 plus and inside is 76, my AC never seems to cool my RV down to 72 degrees until long after night fall, approx 10-11PM.



I have owned RV since new. I don't recall having this problem earlier this year or even last year. Maybe I am losing it and just do not recall.



Is this situation normal? Do others have this same issue?

Am I looking at some sort of problem I must rectify?



Thanks for any help or advice you may offer.

Is the air coming out of the AC unit cold? If not it is likely the unit has lost its gas.
__________________

__________________
Retired Intentional Interim Minister
Member of the BMW MOA
Saginaw Valley BMW Riders
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
KEN9XL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southeastern Massachusetts
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
Is the air coming out of the AC unit cold? If not it is likely the unit has lost its gas.
Sorry for delay in answering.

Yes, the air is coming out of the unit cold but not cooling rapidly enough for my satisfaction only.
__________________
Ken & Marie
2017 Heritage Glen 272RL - 34' 4" hitch to bumper (UVW 7294 lbs / hitch 845 lbs)
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (4wd w/tow pkg) 5.3 litre engine, rear axle ratio 3.42, & 9200 lb tow capacity
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 7,062
A lot of us have found issues in the ducting of our units. Things like;

1. The partition between the supply and return leaking or missing completely.
2. The ducts not sealed to the unit and leaking air into the ceiling cavity.
3. The terminal ends of the ducts being left open.
4. The freeze coil being loose from the evaporator fins.
5. Etc..

Also a 13,500 BtuH unit is pretty small for a 30+' RV.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
KEN9XL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southeastern Massachusetts
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
A lot of us have found issues in the ducting of our units. Things like;

1. The partition between the supply and return leaking or missing completely.
2. The ducts not sealed to the unit and leaking air into the ceiling cavity.
3. The terminal ends of the ducts being left open.
4. The freeze coil being loose from the evaporator fins.
5. Etc..

Also a 13,500 BtuH unit is pretty small for a 30+' RV.

Interesting on all the various possibilities.
Thank you. I guess I can say it is not just me.

As for small unit at 13500, that was only size offered for 30 amp supply on ty, no other options.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 7,062
Interesting, Our RV was 30 amp service and we have a 15,000 Btuh A/C.

I changed the service to 50 amp and am adding a 13,500 Btuh unit in the bedroom.

Check the things I mentioned and see if you have any of them. Fix as much stuff as you can and your A/C may work much better.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
Interesting on all the various possibilities.
Thank you. I guess I can say it is not just me.

As for small unit at 13500, that was only size offered for 30 amp supply on ty, no other options.
Very interesting.
We've had 15k units on our last five R/Vs with 30a service.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 1,623
Either a dealer ordering a basic unit with no upgrades to keep cost down or a regional thing in cooler climates where super hot weather is not the norm. That's a big unit for only one 13.5 unit. Do you remember a difference in camp sites changing performance? a super shady site versus a full sun site on a hot humid weekend would make a big difference.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
KEN9XL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southeastern Massachusetts
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Either a dealer ordering a basic unit with no upgrades to keep cost down or a regional thing in cooler climates where super hot weather is not the norm. That's a big unit for only one 13.5 unit. Do you remember a difference in camp sites changing performance? a super shady site versus a full sun site on a hot humid weekend would make a big difference.
Do recall this past weekend being in direct sun and temps mid 80's daily. AC worked from 9am till 10pm with brief, so to speak, pause as if tired but never reaching cool temp set.
In shade, if I remember correctly, it did circulate and shut down for short periods of time.
Temps in New England this summer have been hotter than normal so maybe that is why I am noticing.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:24 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 72
Unit to small for that size rv. Will not keep up in direct sun.
loyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
KEN9XL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southeastern Massachusetts
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyda View Post
Unit to small for that size rv. Will not keep up in direct sun.
Interesting!!! Not the answer I wanted to hear, but thank you.
It came with one size, no options for upgrade to larger size.
__________________
Ken & Marie
2017 Heritage Glen 272RL - 34' 4" hitch to bumper (UVW 7294 lbs / hitch 845 lbs)
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (4wd w/tow pkg) 5.3 litre engine, rear axle ratio 3.42, & 9200 lb tow capacity
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
SlowrideHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 638
I'd turn the thermostat down to 62 degrees and see if it runs all the time, but still won't get the inside air temp to a reasonable level. If it runs all the time with it set that low, then you have to see what you can do to lower the heat load, or increase efficiency.
On the other hand, if it cycles on and off without getting anywhere near the thermostat set point, you have an ac problem, likely enough of a loss of refrigerant that it is cutting off on the low refrigerant pressure switch.
__________________

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
KEN9XL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southeastern Massachusetts
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I'd turn the thermostat down to 62 degrees and see if it runs all the time, but still won't get the inside air temp to a reasonable level. If it runs all the time with it set that low, then you have to see what you can do to lower the heat load, or increase efficiency.
On the other hand, if it cycles on and off without getting anywhere near the thermostat set point, you have an ac problem, likely enough of a loss of refrigerant that it is cutting off on the low refrigerant pressure switch.

Now there is a thought which never entered my mind. LOW REFRIGERANT!!!
How do you recharge? Beside take to dealer.
Never learnt how to charge any type of AC units (cars, house, campers, etc).

FYI ...
I have set thermostat at 72, 73, 74 in morning as outdoor temperature goes up and reaches into the mid to high 80's.
AC never catches up to preset temp till after darkness. Runs 12 plus hours.
__________________
Ken & Marie
2017 Heritage Glen 272RL - 34' 4" hitch to bumper (UVW 7294 lbs / hitch 845 lbs)
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (4wd w/tow pkg) 5.3 litre engine, rear axle ratio 3.42, & 9200 lb tow capacity
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
Now there is a thought which never entered my mind. LOW REFRIGERANT!!!
How do you recharge? Beside take to dealer.
Never learnt how to charge any type of AC units (cars, house, campers, etc).

FYI ...
I have set thermostat at 72, 73, 74 in morning as outdoor temperature goes up and reaches into the mid to high 80's.
AC never catches up to preset temp till after darkness. Runs 12 plus hours.
Not rechargeable. If there is a leak there is a new unit in your near future. That would be a new 15K btu unit.
__________________
2014 Sportscoach Cross Country, 361BH
jvalich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
KEN9XL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southeastern Massachusetts
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalich View Post
Not rechargeable. If there is a leak there is a new unit in your near future. That would be a new 15K btu unit.
OK! Blows that theory of recharge.
New, larger AC may be in future. Hoping not!

Camping a few more times through summer.
Will be in a shady area next weekend.
I will watch closely and test depending on outdoor temperature.
__________________

__________________
Ken & Marie
2017 Heritage Glen 272RL - 34' 4" hitch to bumper (UVW 7294 lbs / hitch 845 lbs)
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (4wd w/tow pkg) 5.3 litre engine, rear axle ratio 3.42, & 9200 lb tow capacity
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
3500, 500, dometic

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.


×