Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 04:16 AM   #41

Yep, all I can think of is, on TV menu is it on TV,video, HDMI, computer etc?
2witzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #42

I had same thing happen, and I bought new booster, that was not it, wire putting wires back on booster notice one of the ends on cable was loose. Bought some screw on type off ebay and and replaced it works fine now. I check every thing except for cable ends, If I was you I would check that first ad also make sure you have right connection in my case I have to choose cable connection for antenna or cable feed!
GarFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #43

lexi210 ... Thanks but I tried scanning my TV (living & bedroom) both at campground and at home. Same trouble, will not work. Works when connected to cable at campsites.

Connected an external HDTV antenna, scanned TV, both work fine. I verified power booster connections, all tight. Did not have tools or sealant to pull roof antenna apart. Brought to dealer for trouble shoot.

Thinking antenna connection, not saying booster or antenna itself could not be part of trouble. Worked fine for 1 1/2 years, then one day just stopped.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #44

RE: Roof Antenna - Over the Air Difficulty

GarFish ... Excellent suggestion on actually checking connections if secure to cable not just loose on power booster. Never even gave that a thought before bringing to dealer for troubleshoot.

If they can't fix before my next camp trip, next weekend, will tell them forget about it, and use my flat panel HDTV inside external antenna. First I will take your advice and make sure connections on cable are not loose verses connections on booster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-Antenna.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	180467  
Old 07-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #45

If you're in a new location, use this to see what you are capable of getting.

TV Fool

It is then dependent on height, line of sight (obstructions such as trees, land forms, man-made structures), and the gear you're using.

I've been running OTA in our home for over 7y. Where we camp, we don't get the greatest reception, but if I were to use gear, I would skip the factory RV stuff and use a 4bay antenna on top of a long extended painter's pole with a Channel Master preamp.
JoshuaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfossilman View Post
Had the same problem on our Rockwood 2604ws. Searched low for connection problems. Eventually searched high and found that the rooftop connection had vibrated loose where the cable goes through the roof just below the antenna. Tightened it up, resealed the base with the self-leveling sealant and no problem since.

Currently sitting at Rockahock Campground in VA with 56 channels available.
I had that one last year too. My connection through the roof was off to the side. If you pull the coax from the antenna you should be able to read 12 vdc between the conductor and the shield nut and work your way back to the power switch.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #47

My booster is in the bedroom of our 2017 Puma 31RLKS and we do get more channels there than in the living room with the bigger t.v. My antenna is within 6 feet of the bedroom t.v. Radio antenna is on the outside of one of the slideouts.
hdmorganjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #48

Mine was dead on 2016 minilite.Checked all the connections inside .Climb on roof and checked the connector at the antenna and found it disconnected .
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #49

Those round antennas they are using now most of which are junk. They're cheap and easy to install for the factory except they don't work very well unless your very close to the transmission towers. First week I had my Rockwood I pulled the round junk antenna off and ordered a Winegard crank up Batwing with the Wingman already installed, now I can pull channels 3 times farther away than those round things. In any case if you use your OTA antenna out in the sticks and want a fighting chance of pulling stations ditch the round antenna and get a new Winegard crank up and swap it out.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:07 AM   #50

Sounds like you’re headed in the right direction. Always check at the source and follow the signal path. Many times it’s a bad connector crimp or oxidation on the conductor or shield.
Try running a long cable direct from the campground source directly to the display. If the signals is good, sorry to say it is somewhere with in your rig.
Best of luck!
lexi210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #51

Daycruiser ... must agree with you on new omni directional antennas, junk is right.
I couldn't find anything wrong with my connections or cable anywhere. Brought to dealer and they found fault with antenna. They ordered new and removed old and at dealer now. I am out of warranty and am wondering if it was a good idea. Price unknown at this time. (gulp!!!)

Tags
antenna, roo, roof