Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #1

Rear camera when driving Sunseeker 2500ts

I am hoping someone driving one of the new smaller Class C's has figured this out. I bought my 2018 Sunseeker 2500TS from the original owner who only used it a couple times... had just 3500 miles on it including transport from factory. He towed a small trailer with his ATV's on it and he is 100% positive he was able to drive down the road and watch his trailer in the camera. It was the default setting in our Tiffin bus, but not in the Sunseeker. The camera switches to the rear in backing up and will show when using turn signals and when the signal goes off it flashes briefly on the toad before switching of. So we KNOW the camera is working but I am desperate to figure our how the former owner kept it on all the time. I easily found the "Back Camera Input" in system settings as pictured below... there is only on/off. Turn it off and it never comes on. With it on, it works as described but not in drive on the road. Does ANYONE know how to enable this feature? This is a photo of the screen

2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosecity View Post
I am hoping someone driving one of the new smaller Class C's has figured this out. I bought my 2018 Sunseeker 2500TS from the original owner who only used it a couple times... had just 3500 miles on it including transport from factory. He towed a small trailer with his ATV's on it and he is 100% positive he was able to drive down the road and watch his trailer in the camera. It was the default setting in our Tiffin bus, but not in the Sunseeker. The camera switches to the rear in backing up and will show when using turn signals and when the signal goes off it flashes briefly on the toad before switching of. So we KNOW the camera is working but I am desperate to figure our how the former owner kept it on all the time. I easily found the "Back Camera Input" in system settings as pictured below... there is only on/off. Turn it off and it never comes on. With it on, it works as described but not in drive on the road. Does ANYONE know how to enable this feature? This is a photo of the screen

I am not looking at my radio. (My FR3 is getting solar panels installed.)

I remember you have select source: Camera. Just like you select Video, FM, Bluetooth, etc.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #3
2016 FR3 28DS

We own a 2016 FR3 Motorhome and would love it if the backup camera could be programed/wired to show our tow vehicle as we go down the road. There is a Furrion Vision 2 observation camera we are looking at to solve this problem, but it is pricey.
We will be anxious to know if the camera can be adjusted through the dashboard to stay on, that would be great. Let's hear from the mechanics on this.
GabbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
2020 Forester 2851SLE

This works for me - sort of

I had a 2015 Sunseeker and this was easy peasy. Not so in our 2017 Georgetown - had the same results you are getting. Here's what I did and it is almost workable:
On the systems setting screen you show Camera Polarity as Battery, switch it to Ground. The camera will now work and show you your TOAD. Alas, that is all it shows you, when you want to backup and put it in Reverse the TOAD view goes away - sad but true.
So what I do now is to only use this "Ground" setting when I start off on a trip, then switch it back to Battery after I am comfy that the TOAD is doing its thing. Then on the road any time I want to verify the TOAD is still happy I go to AV settings and turn on Camera View and it'll show the TOAD until I either use a turn signal or put it in reverse.
SOMEONE needs to fix this, but in the mean time I hobble along with this approach.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
2016 FR3 28DS

rfear camera

Thanks for the quick response! It will take some getting use to, but we will try it and see if we can "hobble" down the road like this too!
Safe travels my friend!
GabbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #6

I am installing a 7" LCD Monitor on the dash to use the existing cameras. I don't like taking my eyes off the road to look at the radio. It will be have the rear or turn view all the time not just when I backup. I read about it in another thread. Also you can still use the radio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Padarsey 7 Inch LED Backlight TFT LCD Monitor.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	174989
Amazon: Padarsey 7 Inch LED Backlight TFT LCD Monitor $27.99
Old 06-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #7

No sure about your rig but on mine if I run with the truck lights on my camera will activate

Have a good one
grouchmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
We own a 2016 FR3 Motorhome and would love it if the backup camera could be programed/wired to show our tow vehicle as we go down the road. There is a Furrion Vision 2 observation camera we are looking at to solve this problem, but it is pricey.
We will be anxious to know if the camera can be adjusted through the dashboard to stay on, that would be great. Let's hear from the mechanics on this.
Assuming that your current system is working as a backup camera, this may be a solution: The system is functioning off of the backup light circuit. If that wire was to be connected to be an accessory wire and come on with the ignition, it would always be on with the ignition on. The only thing that changes is the power source "trigger". It is all 12 volt no matter where it is coming from. It should be as simple as finding the power lead wire to your head unit, locating the trigger wire and splicing the trigger wire to the lead wire.

We had a 2014 Sunseeker 2500TS that had the rear view monitor replacing the rear view mirror. The 2500TS is a really nice rig!
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I am not looking at my radio. (My FR3 is getting solar panels installed.) I remember you have select source: Camera. Just like you select Video, FM, Bluetooth, etc.
You hit the nail on the head rk06382 - the trouble on my 2018 rig is that "source" is poorly spelled out. I had been trying thru system settings with no luck, but the there is a sort of down arrow next to whatever is displayed which on mine was always Pandora and which we are not even using (reads disconnected). Hit the down arrow though and it offers other options like radio, spotify, etc. You have to scroll down to the bottom and there is "CAMERA VIEW" listed. Never spotted that before. It's a little flakey but if you hit and hold that item on the menu right then it switches to full time camera view to the rear which is just what I wanted. It doesn't appear there is anyway to listen to the radio at the same time. Not sure about CD's yet. Butt as otilopnad said you can switch back and forth from time to time to check on things. Maybe we'll find a way to get it to multi-task, but at least for now I can watch my toad which is my main goal. Do NOT have to have the toad connected in any way to do this, btw.

As for otilopnad's suggestion about switching Battery polarity to ground, I had tried that before and it does nothing on my 2018. Back and side view cameras won't work either unless that is set to camera on and set to Battery (not ground).

Hope this helps a few other folks as well.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #10

Talking Rear View Safety is "a" solution

In eary 2017 Foresters came with a monitor in place of rearview mirror in cab. When my 2017 arrived the monitor have moved to the dash. I was not happy so I bought a Rear View Safety (what FR was using on early 2017) 7" Rear View Replacement Mirror Monitor for $129. Real easy to disconect wires from radio dash monitor. Followed easy instructions and now I have my Toad on the monitor all the time unless I am signaling for a turn. Plus the monitor is up in my line of sight. Who needs a mirror to see what is going on in the kitchen?
Dovidas1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I am installing a 7" LCD Monitor on the dash to use the existing cameras. I don't like taking my eyes off the road to look at the radio. It will be have the rear or turn view all the time not just when I backup. I read about it in another thread. Also you can still use the radio.

Attachment 174989
Amazon: Padarsey 7 Inch LED Backlight TFT LCD Monitor $27.99
I installed a 7' monitor to turn on whenever the engine on. I used the RCA video cable going to the radio. It the shows rear view all the time except when the turn signal is on, then it show the left or right view.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180616_172559.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	176188

Tags
500, sunseeker