Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #1

Recommendations on WIFI extender

Hello all, just wondering if anyone has had any luck improving the spotty WIFI you get at most campgrounds? I've seen WIFI antennas but then you hear they don't work well unless you also add the repeater. The technology is not clear to me but wondering if there is a product that will allow for better connectivity when the campground signal is weak. Sometimes it feels like AOL.com all over again! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

I'm thinking of going with the Alfa Wifi Camp Pro 2. Last winter in Fla, we had a bad connection to the campground. Our friend has the Winegard Connect 2 (wifi only, no cell phone) and it worked well. I just don't want to permanently mount it to the roof.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
I'm thinking of going with the Alfa Wifi Camp Pro 2. Last winter in Fla, we had a bad connection to the campground. Our friend has the Winegard Connect 2 (wifi only, no cell phone) and it worked well. I just don't want to permanently mount it to the roof.
This is the one I use. I also check WiFi strength with an app. If really weak or spotty, nothing seams to work. But do like the Camp Pro. Just have to reset for each campground.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #4

I never use campground WiFi, I use my cellphone hotspot or my iPad cellular
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #5

We purchased an AC600 High Power Dual Band Outdoor Wi-Fi Range Extender that we used most of the summer when we camp hosted at a state park. They have WiFi at the Camp Store, but the signal was pretty weak at our camper. It worked marvelously. I think the DH got it on Amazon.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #6

We got a $40 cheap one at Best Buy that plugs into an outlet it does help......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:54 AM   #7

I use wifi on steroids with my phone hotspot. That allows me to use as many devices as I like and cell phone reads it as 1 device. It also can be set up to rv park wifi and keep your stuff secure.
Tx2Stepn Yorkies
Tx2Stepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #8

Just on the Wifi side... your Wi-Fi booster can only amplify or boost what it hears. Campground signal is slow, the booster can't increase speeds, only boost up the signal you are receiving. Many campground Wi-Fi systems are put up by non-Wireless people or companies that want to sell a service to the campground and use about the same template for every location. The newer Wifi boosters can accommodate a card that gives you internet access via cell towers. Again if your phone won't pick up any bars of signal, then a Cell adapter most likely won't see a cell signal either. When you have cell or wifi signals they work well. Many campgrounds only have a basic DSL line and share it all over the campground. So you can see how more people just use up all the bandwidth and it just gets slower.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
danielj464

Send a message via MSN to danielj464
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I never use campground WiFi, I use my cellphone hotspot or my iPad cellular
That's ok for occasional use, but for daily needs, one tends to run out of "unlimited" data (10 gigs then the brakes are applied to very sloooowww). I am in an area where both phone and wifi signals are weak.
danielj464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:06 PM   #10

I personally think they keep it crappy so people aren't trying to stream video on it and clog up the bandwidth. My phone usually serves the purpose as a hotspot well enough. If we're desperate for indoor entertainment due to weather issues, we keep a DVD player and a few dvds on hand.

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post
Hello all, just wondering if anyone has had any luck improving the spotty WIFI you get at most campgrounds? I've seen WIFI antennas but then you hear they don't work well unless you also add the repeater. The technology is not clear to me but wondering if there is a product that will allow for better connectivity when the campground signal is weak. Sometimes it feels like AOL.com all over again! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I have WiFi Ranger Sky Pro with 2 antennas. It works great but is not cheap. It pulls in routers up to 1.5 miles. www.wifiranger.com
Mike MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #12

Our camper has the WiFi Ranger Sky 3 installed (by FR). I've used it a couple of times, but I prefer to use my AT&T hotspot as it has the grandfathered unlimited data plan. Granted speeds *MAY* get reprioritized after 22G for the month, but so far we haven't seen it, and have used over 100G in a month. I've also since purchased an AT&T business plan (unlimited data no reprioritized) off eBay for $50/month and replaced my home internet with it, as it was the same speed as we got for $100 at home. When camping and at home, I use the internet for work, as I work from home, and it seems to be a good solution. Using camp WiFi for me has be even sketchier than using Cell service.
ImTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTravis View Post
Our camper has the WiFi Ranger Sky 3 installed (by FR). I've used it a couple of times, but I prefer to use my AT&T hotspot as it has the grandfathered unlimited data plan. Granted speeds *MAY* get reprioritized after 22G for the month, but so far we haven't seen it, and have used over 100G in a month. I've also since purchased an AT&T business plan (unlimited data no reprioritized) off eBay for $50/month and replaced my home internet with it, as it was the same speed as we got for $100 at home. When camping and at home, I use the internet for work, as I work from home, and it seems to be a good solution. Using camp WiFi for me has be even sketchier than using Cell service.
Same with me for Verizon. I have old unlimited plan and using the Wifi on steroids gives me the ability to have cat 5 connections. When Verizon tried to get us to go to newer plan, we were told that depending on where you are (smaller cities) you should not lose speed. Not sure if that is true since mine is grandfathered.
Tx2Stepn Yorkies
Tx2Stepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
This is the one I use. I also check WiFi strength with an app. If really weak or spotty, nothing seams to work. But do like the Camp Pro. Just have to reset for each campground.
I am also using the Camp Pro and am a little disappointed. For some reason I have to reboot it two to three times a week. It loses USB power to the antenna.
I do like the fact the external antenna is a permanent mount. A few times I have been able to leave it in the RV and got good signal.
dtrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #15

I have only had to reboot when we change CGs.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #16

Has anyone tried the Weboost?
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post

This is the one I’ve used for two years and it’s been great.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj464 View Post
That's ok for occasional use, but for daily needs, one tends to run out of "unlimited" data (10 gigs then the brakes are applied to very sloooowww). I am in an area where both phone and wifi signals are weak.

I don’t have that problem of running out of gigs, I have five lines, four with 15 gigs each of hotspot data, one line of 20 gigs. Cellular data is three lines of 22 gigs each and one line of 75 gigs. Normally I don’t use everything
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #19
danielj464

Send a message via MSN to danielj464
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I don’t have that problem of running out of gigs, I have five lines, four with 15 gigs each of hotspot data, one line of 20 gigs. Cellular data is three lines of 22 gigs each and one line of 75 gigs. Normally I don’t use everything
wow! & you're right down the road from me (Wallace, NC). Which company gives you all those gigs?

danielj464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #20

I'm thinking about getting this on, which includes a router and does not require an outside antenna. TechnoRV has them on a Black Friday special.

https://www.technorv.com/wifi-deskto...riday-special/
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote