Old 11-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
GC

Refrig. on propane and battery life

Any of you dry campers know how long a refrig will work running on propane and battery. Was going to let the unit sit in storage for about 12 days and didn't want to unload the refrig.
Have two full 30lb tanks and one brand new interstate battery with no way to charge it. Would not be using lights or anything else off the battery.
Thanks

Old 11-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarson View Post
Any of you dry campers know how long a refrig will work running on propane and battery. Was going to let the unit sit in storage for about 12 days and didn't want to unload the refrig.
Have two full 30lb tanks and one brand new interstate battery with no way to charge it. Would not be using lights or anything else off the battery.
Thanks
Wouldn't worry about it. Should make it with no problem if you start with full charged battery. Propane will last for weeks as the frig door will not be opened and therefore the burner will only be on for a few minutes a day/night.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #3

As just posted, the propane won't be a problem. We filled the 40 pound tank on our Sunseeker in Montana and used only 5 or 6 pounds during the week driving to South Carolina.

Try this link to an earlier post about current draws. The LP/CO detector(s) will draw a little current. Since no one will be occupying unit, you could pull it out and remove the fuse.

normal appliance amp draws
Old 11-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

I'm assuming you've got a refrigerator with interior controls. My old one was all switches on the outside of the trailer and that thing would run off of propane forever. The auto switching ones do need battery for the controls which would probably require having all of those little lights and whatnot along with the CO detector to be running as well....I guess you might be able to pull all of the fuses to kill everything else, but the CO detector may have to be pulled out to disable it. I dry camped mine a few weeks ago and got three days before I was nearly to half of my two group 24's and I was being conservative. I think I MIGHT have made it a week with it just sitting there. I don't know if you have the battery for that long a run. I've seen several people here say the parasitic draw killed their batteries in less than three weeks when they forgot to disconnect them. Temperature could be a factor as well (it was cold when I tried). You'll have less battery capacity at lower temps.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
I'm assuming you've got a refrigerator with interior controls. My old one was all switches on the outside of the trailer and that thing would run off of propane forever. The auto switching ones do need battery for the controls which would probably require having all of those little lights and whatnot along with the CO detector to be running as well....I guess you might be able to pull all of the fuses to kill everything else, but the CO detector may have to be pulled out to disable it. I dry camped mine a few weeks ago and got three days before I was nearly to half of my two group 24's and I was being conservative. I think I MIGHT have made it a week with it just sitting there. I don't know if you have the battery for that long a run. I've seen several people here say the parasitic draw killed their batteries in less than three weeks when they forgot to disconnect them. Temperature could be a factor as well (it was cold when I tried). You'll have less battery capacity at lower temps.
Agree with the battery draw, I would pull the fuses on everything except the frig. The cold temperature should help as the frig wouldn't need to work as much.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #6

You will need to check on how your gas detectors are wired. The LP & CO detectors are wired directly to the battery , at least in my TT and my buddies TT, it that way.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Less than 3 weeks- I wish! My battery does from parasitic draws in under a week unless I disconnect the battery. I agree with pulling as many fuses as possible. If you can, I'd also try to check on it regularly.

I thought I'd read that someone on the seasonal thread posted about putting an ice cube in a baggy in the freeze. If it was melted or misshapen, they knew they lost power for some period of time.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
You will need to check on how your gas detectors are wired. The LP & CO detectors are wired directly to the battery , at least in my TT and my buddies TT, it that way.
mine is wired the same way, I just put in a SPST switch in line, then you can shut it off when you are not using the TT. You can get 1 at Ace for like 3.00 or so. Takes 5 mins to do.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #9

Gary if the (Fridg) is the Only draw for (12) days Maybe your Batt will last? I just about Guarantee your Elec.Jack will NOT have power to lift the Trailer. Make sure the T/V is wired too charge the trailer also,that way you can plug in and have 12V to power the Jack! Youroo!!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Less than 3 weeks- I wish! My battery does from parasitic draws in under a week unless I disconnect the battery.
Still less than 3 weeks! I think I might have gotten a full week out of it with the frig and parasitics only if I didn't touch anything. That's with two batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I just about Guarantee your Elec.Jack will NOT have power to lift the Trailer.
A good point. If you run down far enough that you can't get your jack to operate, you've probably run your battery down far enough to shorten it's life. Just something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I just put in a SPST switch in line, then you can shut it off when you are not using the TT.
Now THIS is something I'm going to have to do shortly. Might end up doing the same thing with the radio and other extras.

Tags
battery, propane