Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
azwade

Refrig Problem 2011 Rockwood 8280WS

Just returned from a trip to the Grand Canyon where it was really windy. The refrigerator kept going out while on gas between RV parks. When on electric it worked fine. No problem with getting gas (tested with stove). Finally gave up and put ice in it to hold us over. Thought something was wrong so I took it to the dealer here in Tucson, AZ. Dealer tested it for hours and could not find anything wrong. Dealer conclusion was that it is a bad design. The refrigerator vent is in the back on this model and the wind comes over the top of the roof and blows the gas out. Each time the gas went out I was trying to restart right away. The dealer said that I should turn the refrigerator to the off position and wait 5 or 10 minutes for the circuit to reset before trying to restart. Also advised that I block off the bottom vent (the vent panel has three large horizontal vents) with metal AC tape to protect gas function. I will test this solution April 19th on a trip to Austin, Texas and will post results. Anyone else have this problem?
azwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #2

We have the same trailer and have NOT experienced that issue at all. I have heard the hot water tank get blown out during a wind gust...but then the ignition circuit kicks in and restarts properly.
gsartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwade View Post
Also advised that I block off the bottom vent (the vent panel has three large horizontal vents) with metal AC tape to protect gas function. I will test this solution April 19th on a trip to Austin, Texas and will post results. Anyone else have this problem?
This is totally wrong. A 2011 should have the upgraded fridge with an improved stack that shields and protects the flame.

Dometic had a recall 3 years ago and fixed the problem he was referring to. The problem fridge's had an RM model number. All the fixed ones are DM model numbers.

Do NOT block your vents. Your fridge will not cool. Folks pay big bucks to BOOST air flow through those vents to improve hot weather cooling.

Typical that an inept dealer would blame the "design" for his inability to troubleshoot a system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Fridge 001.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	15075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Fridge 004.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	15076  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fridge Operation and Trouble shooting.pdf (94.4 KB, 69 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

My money is on a blocked flue by a wasp or spider nest.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, 8280ws, led pad