Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Refrigerator

I'm working today so I can't read my instruction manual right now. But I was just wondering about something with my fridge.

Like so many others, the Vengeance has the big refrigerator with inverter. When the camper is at home, it will stay plugged into shore power pretty much all the time. But next week, we're taking it on its initial trip to Ocean Lakes. Right now, the camper is plugged in and the fridge is plenty cold.

Ocean Lakes is no more than four hours away. But is it OK to run the fridge off the battery for those hours on the road? Is the shaking while running going to be a concern? I assume the power will be just fine because the fridge will already be cold and the truck will keep the batteries up.

Is this the norm or a bad idea?
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #2

I assume that you have a residential refrigerator that runs off the 1000W inverter. It is the norm to run the reefer off of batteries when on the road. Your alternator will probably keep the battery up during that trip. On RVs, it is absolutely no problem since the alternator will keep the batteries at 100% when running the inverter. In a TT, the charge current from your TV alternator is a lot less since the run is long and the wire size is probably #10 or smaller. I wouldn't worry about it, you should be fine for 4 hours anyway. After all, if it didn't work that way, why bother with an inverter anyway?

As far as vibration, the reefer gets road vibration no matter what...on or off. It is not a problem.

You should confirm that the TV does charge the battery when the engine is running. Sometimes it seems to never really get totally hooked up!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:28 AM   #3

Yes. Its the residential fridge. I'm almost positive my 7-pin supplies power to the batteries. I'll double check but I think I installed that fuse awhile back. I have two 12V batteries on the Vengeance so they should be good with the truck's help.

My only real concern is the batteries so low at the campground, there won't be enough to level. Thanks.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
AlR

My truck does a good job of topping up the batteries when I'm hauling. I installed a battery monitor; the Trimetrics 2030RV afew weeks ago. Provides good intel. Then you'll know exactly what's going in and coming out of your batteries, and their state of charge.
AlR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #5
Site Team

While I don't think it's going to be an issue for you. If the batteries were down enough to cause the levelers to struggle, you could just plug it into shore power and then use the levelers.

Tags
refrigerator