Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Refrigerator

Any pros or cons to a residential refrigerator instead of a standard rv fridge?
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #2

You never told us what type of rig you have.
Trailer, 5th Wheel or motorhome.

I personally like the newer 4 door Dometic refrigerators. It runs off of propane/12VDC or 120 volt AC shore power. While driving down the road it will use propane and runs off of your 12 volt batteries.

The residential units only run off of 120 Volts AC which is using a dedicated 1,000 watt invertor which runs off of your coach batteries while driving as well as when you are parked and using shore power.
The downside of these is the weight and if you dry camp you will have to keep the batteries charged or your refrigerator will not run. So you will have to run your generator to charge the batteries regularly.
If you have a problem with one or both batteries your refrigerator will shut off until the problem is resolved.

Here is a picture of my Dometic refrigerator that runs off of propane or 120 volt shore power or generator.
The model # is RM1250 and has a ice maker and water in the door and much less weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod Picture 035.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	52168   Click image for larger version

Name:	user7496_pic3699_1334806390.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	52169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod Picture 034.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	52170  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #3

Still planning

Sorry Iggy, I didn't get back sooner, I was having trouble logging on. We don't have one yet. We are definitely going to get the CC36ckts. For the cost of the unit, I am going to make sure I don't leave a stone unturned. As much as possible that is. Finding this forum was a treasure chest of knowledge. I have read many threads and opinions on other items and this is perfect for planning and shopping. Everyone's opinion is well appreciated. Thanks. Total Bliss
Old 06-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #4

Exclamation Frigidaire vs RV fridge

We purchased a 2015 Georgetown 351DS on May 9th. The RV has been in the service department ever since. Here is the thing no one wants to tell you. RV techs are not allowed to work on these residential fridges and residential fridge techs aren't allowed to pull the fridge out of the cabinet to work on them. So for the last month I have an RV with no working fridge.

La Mesa RV in Phoenix had 4 different service companies from Frigidaire come out to try to fix it. Each time the rig has to be moved into a service bay for the RV techs to take it out of the cabinet. Then the residential tech tries to figure out the problem (no luck yet) and then the RV tech gets to put the fridge back in the hole still without a fix.

RV service departments don't like working this way because residential techs give you a 2-4 hour service window, which is holding up a service bay. Service centers want a set time they will be there. Needless to say, they don't play well with each other. We had to do a lot of going back and forth between them to get both people to agree. It's like parenting children.

Frigidaire doesn't want to replace their brand new fridge even though 4 of their techs can't agree or decide what is wrong with it.

Selling dealer and Forest River keep fighting with Frigidaire to replace the unit, but it's a big deal. It has to come out through the windshield and they want to ship it from their factory but won't give us a ship date or estimated date to expect it. Why can't I get one locally?!? I have a brand new RV, should any of us deal with this poor warranty service.

There also isn't enough batteries to last longer than 4-5 hours to run the fridge if not hooked to shore or gen. power.
We are now looking at pulling it and replacing with the RV fridge I wanted in the 1st place. The 4 door Dometic fridge. My Hubby was super excited about the Big Fridge, I thought it was a terrible idea....he is now coming around to my side. I spoke to our dealer again today and they are starting to see more of these problems with the new RV's and these residential fridges.

If you haven't figured out by my post, I will never by a Frigidaire product on my own. Their warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.
sdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

Just wondering if there's any update to this saga?
Clemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #6

I put the question out there, but really not a lot of response. Still wondering.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #7

I wrote a reply last night on my phone but it doesn't look like it loaded. I will have to redo it when I get home.
sdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #8

We have the residential fridge and love it so far.
Pros and canons to both.
One can have an issue with either one. Replacing one would be a major pain. But the chance of having to replace it would be 1 in thousands.
As like with all blogs we mainly hear of the horror stories.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #9

We also like the residential fridge, the only issue we have is water pressure being to low for the ice maker and door water dispenser. I have ordered a adjustable relief valve for the system in hopes to increase pressures enough for them to work properly without damaging the lines.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #10

Let me know what you are doing and how well it works
Our ice maker is very slow in making ice and if this fix helps you then it will help us.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
refrigerator