Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Refrigerator cutoff switch

At this website Fridge Switch - Auto Cut Off When You Stop Driving | Caravan Safety Gear | CaravansPlus they are offering a switch that will turn off the power to the refrigerator if the car stops moving, will leave it on as long as there is movement.

I can't find any forums which mention this. Would it work in my Freedom popup? It has a 3-way refrigerator. I'd like to know if anyone has tried it.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
PatN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:39 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Scubanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 260
Refrigerator cutoff switch

I'm wondering why you would need to shut off the fridge when you stop the vehicle. Is that an issue for pop ups? My fridge goes on two days prior to camping and never shuts off until it's unloaded and ready to be parked/stored.


2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
__________________

__________________
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
raspivey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 1,276
I noticed that some of the Dometic models come with this feature while I was reading through my manual. Mine doesn't have it, but it might be nice. It shuts off the gas when the ignition is turned off for....I think about fifteen minutes then restarts it. I think it's to keep you from having to shut off the open flame when getting gas.
__________________
2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Scubanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
I noticed that some of the Dometic models come with this feature while I was reading through my manual. Mine doesn't have it, but it might be nice. It shuts off the gas when the ignition is turned off for....I think about fifteen minutes then restarts it. I think it's to keep you from having to shut off the open flame when getting gas.

I guess that would be a good feature, as long as it didn't shut off if your boon docking and parked. Maybe if your plugged into the tow vehicle it is a requirement for the feature to work.


2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
__________________
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Purpose of cutoff

Having become convinced from my reading that I would rather not drive with the propane on (though I know many people do), I would like to run my 3-way fridge on battery without having to worry if I will forget to disconnect the plug to the trailer if I stop for very long. This switch does that if no motion is sensed, so I understand. I would have to have someone install it for me. No idea how to get at the wires going to the fridge. No idea even where they run.
__________________
PatN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Scubanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatN View Post
Having become convinced from my reading that I would rather not drive with the propane on (though I know many people do), I would like to run my 3-way fridge on battery without having to worry if I will forget to disconnect the plug to the trailer if I stop for very long. This switch does that if no motion is sensed, so I understand. I would have to have someone install it for me. No idea how to get at the wires going to the fridge. No idea even where they run.

Looking at the photo of the switch I think it is very easy to install. If you remove the rear access cover to the fridge you will see a 12 volt positive and negative wire going into your back of the fridge. I believe if you put the switch between that location is all that is required.


2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
__________________
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Scubanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 260
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472064826.208109.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	118337


2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
__________________
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Scubanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 260
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472065160.671815.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	118338


2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
__________________
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:08 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,677
OP has a 3 way fridge and I am assuming he is running it on 12V. The current draw is significant and if you park for a while ( engine off no alternator) and leave fridge on, it could drain the TV battery to the point where it would be hard to start the TV
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
I'm wondering why you would need to shut off the fridge when you stop the vehicle. Is that an issue for pop ups? My fridge goes on two days prior to camping and never shuts off until it's unloaded and ready to be parked/stored.


2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 526
If it shuts off after 15 minutes automatically what good is that when you are gassing up? Time between ignition off and gassing up is about one minute and you would still need to manually shut it off if you are so inclined, which I am.
__________________

__________________

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fridge switch, refrigerator, switch

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.