Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 56
Refrigerator fan

Sorry, this is sorta a repost I'm new to this forum and just realized the appliance and electronics thread was here. Been having some trouble with the refrig in our 2014 233S. It just does not get cold enough. Now it's been miserable the past Week with temps in the high 90's and high humidity. Once we place a fan on the outside (after we remove the cover) it works perfect. Reading some posts on here I realize this is common. Can I (please don't laugh) place two small 110V fans in the top of the vent. I know I would have to remove the top cover and have them suck the hot air out? It looks like I could run a power cord straight down and plug it in to where the refrig plugs in. I've researched some and everyone seems unhappy with the solar ones. Thanks for any assistance.
__________________

__________________
theroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
80 mm x2 computer fans. External
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130722_135857.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	35965  
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
120mm internal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130722_135948.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	35966



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130722_140004.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	35967

Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroo2 View Post
Sorry, this is sorta a repost I'm new to this forum and just realized the appliance and electronics thread was here. Been having some trouble with the refrig in our 2014 233S. It just does not get cold enough. Now it's been miserable the past Week with temps in the high 90's and high humidity. Once we place a fan on the outside (after we remove the cover) it works perfect. Reading some posts on here I realize this is common. Can I (please don't laugh) place two small 110V fans in the top of the vent. I know I would have to remove the top cover and have them suck the hot air out? It looks like I could run a power cord straight down and plug it in to where the refrig plugs in. I've researched some and everyone seems unhappy with the solar ones. Thanks for any assistance.

What temp do you get?
Is it on propane or electric?
Did you run the refrigerator prior putting cold food in it?
Do you have it set to 5 on the level which is the coldest.
My 4 door Dometic cools fine on gas or electric but I also added these fans which brings the refrigerator down from 37 degrees to 34 degrees.
Helps on hot days when the sun is directly on that side of the rig.


And YES you can buy a cheap fan and plug it in and ventilate the outside which will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome June 16 2013 018.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	35969  
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Dallas Texas
 
TexasBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 296
Thero.. You could run 110v fans but they might run you more than a couple 12v, 9v, or 24v volt fans. I added two 12v fans and used an old 110v laptop power supply. You can get the fans online or any computer/electonics store.

It will help remove the heat from the cabinet. I also added one to the inside - got the kit off ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	35973  
__________________
2004 Cardinal 33CKT
2006 Ford SDD F250 CC 4WD
TexasBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ View Post
Thero.. You could run 110v fans but they might run you more than a couple 12v, 9v, or 24v volt fans. I added two 12v fans and used an old 110v laptop power supply. You can get the fans online or any computer/electonics store.

It will help remove the heat from the cabinet. I also added one to the inside - got the kit off ebay.
I used a 12 circuit right from the fridge.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 56
The refrig was hot above 60 but the freezer was freezing foods fine. We had to throw away all the food inside once we realized it was not working. With a fan outside it cooled it down to around 34. The slide is in the upper most position. It seems to me that there is some type of blockage, I've checked and can't find anything.
__________________
theroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
zs325RES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Byron Center, MI
Posts: 337
Thought I would share my mod...

I removed my stock fan (noisy) and replaced it with two 12V computer fans mounted on a 'baffle'. This simply wired to the stock wires.


The two fans will sit like this just below the top coil in the area where the original fan was mounted. With the added baffle, the air flow should be much better and these two fans are whisper quiet.


The paneling in the top vent opening was cut out a bit smaller than my panel and this was just mounted in the opening.
Looks like this now.
__________________

2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
2006 Silverado 2500HD LT SW ECSB, 6L LQ4/4L80E 4.10s w/16K Curt slider (not necessary), Air Lift bags & Black Bear Performance tune & CAI

Norm & Karen Zondervan
zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 56
That's a great looking set up. My camper does not seem to have any type of fan in place. Should it? Seems something is needed to move air. Thanks for the pictures, time to order some stuff.
__________________
theroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroo2 View Post
That's a great looking set up. My camper does not seem to have any type of fan in place. Should it? Seems something is needed to move air. Thanks for the pictures, time to order some stuff.
Both Dometic and Norcold for years only had "natural vent". When they pushed their stock cooling system with more heat for more capacity, they had to add forced ventilation.
__________________

__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.