Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Sunny Cove

Refrigerator Freezing

Hi all, We have a 2015 Rockwood 2504S which we bought new. It has a Dometic frig, model # DM2652RBX. We have been out for a month in Texas, mostly cool & windy. Lately our frig will freeze unless we turn it off whether on gas or AC. I have turned it off for extended times, pulled its fuse and it keeps freezing when normally it is around 36 degrees.

Any suggestions???
Sunnycove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnycove View Post
Hi all, We have a 2015 Rockwood 2504S which we bought new. It has a Dometic frig, model # DM2652RBX. We have been out for a month in Texas, mostly cool & windy. Lately our frig will freeze unless we turn it off whether on gas or AC. I have turned it off for extended times, pulled its fuse and it keeps freezing when normally it is around 36 degrees.

Any suggestions???

Ours does that also, we are going to replace it with residential. RV refrigerators like the Dometic at arent made for full timing. I’ve heard that going around a lot.
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #3

I bought my trailer used. First thing I had to do was replace the thermister on the right side of the fins. It moves up and down. I forgot which way is warmer.
mine was defective and I bought one with an actual dial in it. Two 4 month stays and all is well.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I bought my trailer used. First thing I had to do was replace the thermister on the right side of the fins. It moves up and down. I forgot which way is warmer.

mine was defective and I bought one with an actual dial in it. Two 4 month stays and all is well.

Yeah that’s how ours is also just has a plastic thing along the fins on the right
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #5

I don't have a Dometic, but here is a service manual, which might help.

http://www.fourwh.com/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf

If you have fins on the back of your refrigerator, try moving the thermistor (clip on the fins with wires coming out) down toward the center of the fin. That area is colder than the edge, so should help it turn off sooner.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnycove View Post

Any suggestions???
Have you adjusted the temperature at all during these times?

Depending on outside ambient temperature, we have to adjust the coldness control to compensate. (some units you slide a thermistor on the interior fins)

Also, I'm baffled by your statement the refrigerator will continue to freeze with the fuse pulled? What fuse are you pulling? If on LP, pulling the 120v fuse(s) won't matter. If on 120v, pulling the 12v fuse(s) should shut everything down.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I did this to my last unit, fixed it straight away!

https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I did this to my last unit, fixed it straight away!

https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi
that's the one I fixed mine with.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
Sunny Cove

No the frig does not run with its fuse pulled; electronics 101. A prior blog suggested doing that to reset the frig so I tried it, did not work. Fuse back in its slot and still freezing.
Sunnycove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #10

A fridge fan inside that circulates the internal air in the fridge will usually keep fins from freezing up.

https://smartrvproducts.com
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #11

Refrigerator Freezing

At least your fridge is cooling most people complain they don't cool enough. Could you post a picture of the inside cooling fins in the fridge section, mainly the right side, it will show where the thermistor is located. Just a slight difference in position can mean the 36 degrees you like and freezing. If it is located correctly I would suggest that the thermistor is probably bad and is allowing the unit to run continuously.

One of the tests to check a cooling unit on the fridge is to disconnect the thermistor wires on the main board and allow the unit to run continuously for 24 to 48 hours to see if it is cooling correctly. Allowing the unit to run wide open for an extended time (days) can damage the cooling unit.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator