Old 12-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #1

Refrigerator Issues Again

Our Vengeance has the Whirlpool residential fridge. Last year when we put the camper up for the winter, I turned the fridge off. Our first trip of the season back in April, the fridge was struggling to keep things cool and it was determined the compressor was going bad. Warranty paid for a new compressor install and it worked great all summer.

This year, I winterized the camper back in late October. But this time, I left the fridge on. I turned the thermostat up to high but left it running. My thinking was maybe the compressor didn't like the freezing cold temps while being turned off. But I really don't have a clue.

Anyway, we decided to go camping this weekend with some friends. I dewinterized and we hit the road. Everything went great except it appears the fridge may be going out again. The freezer was set at 0 degrees and the fridge at 33. The freezer never got below 20 and the fridge stayed in the mid-30s. If those temps. never got worse, it would be OK but this is what happened last spring. The temps weren't what they were set at and as time went on, it got worse and worse.

I will check it again this week as the fridge is now closed up but still turned on.

If the compressor is going bad, is this just my bad luck? It never really got below freezing while the camper was winterized this November. It got close but I don't think we hit 32 until this week. I have the FR extended warranty so I'm sure it will be covered but I don't have much confidence after that.

The worst part is, replacing the fridge itself would probably be just as cheap but I don't think it will come out the doors. FR told me they put the residential refrigerators in the campers before they install the slideouts.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #2

Just to share: I bought a new TT back in January of 2015. Later I had to take it back to the selling dealer for some warranty work and while there I noticed a large fifth wheel in the shop with one of it's slides taken completely out. When I asked about them taking the slide out I was told that is the way they get to the refrigerator to change it out as it would not go through the entrance door. Hope you don't have to have this done.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #3

I need to get to the back of mine in my fifth wheel to work on defrost line , how is this possible
Old 12-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #4

The dealer told me the slide will need to come out to replace my residential fridge but I did some measurements with the fridge doors off and mine would fit through the outside door if I ever needed to replace it. He told me this cause he was trying to sell me an extended warranty.
Though your for may be smaller.
I have seen on YouTube where it was installed through the passenger side window when it was removed.
I wouldn't want to remove a slide out unless totally necessary.

Tags
refrigerator