Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #1

refrigerator not working

Hello everyone, I was looking for some ideas as to what a problem I am having me be. I left Florida 5 days ago and moved to California pulling my 21vfb. When I left the lights for my AC automatic temp control were light. I turned the propane on we took off I'm not sure when but at some point it appears it stopped working. When I got to California the lights were not on and the Refridge is not working. I checked all the circuit breakers and nothing was popped. I plugged the unit in and even though I was using 110v everything in the unit worked accept the refrigerator. I've had the unit less than a year. Anyone have any suggestions as to what else I may try. The closest forest river dealer is over 2 hours away... Thanks
skydiverchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:10 AM   #2

It sounds like you tried to run the fridge on propane and it did not work while your were driving? Then you plugged into AC and it still did not work? Does the light come on when you open the door? On mine if the propane has been turned off it will take several attemps to light the fridge and I usually do it the day before I leave so I know it's all working.

You don't have to take it to a forest river dealer any RV repair who contracts with the defective item and repair it under the itmes warranty. Check your paper work and read the terms of the warranty..
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

1/243

the Light above the refrig. doesn't come on at all. I am thinking the unit is broke, I would think especially now that I have it one shore power the lights would at least come on.... Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

Pull your lower outside vent cover off. Inside you should see a circuit board with fuses and wire connections. Check the fuses and connections.
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

X2 yea do that
HarrynSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
Pull your lower outside vent cover off. Inside you should see a circuit board with fuses and wire connections. Check the fuses and connections.
Are you talking about the one outside behind the refrigerator? I did that, all the wires look intact and the outlet the unit is plugged into is working. None of the fuses are blown. I have got to be missing something, I just can't figure out what!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #7

Just rebuilt my refer, did you check for the 12 volts dc??? It will not work unless you have it. Does the refer light come on jnside??
dollyo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #8

Take the cover off the outside and on the stack there is a reset button that has two wires going to it. Push the little black button and it will allow power back to the control board.

2004 Flagstaff 8524RK 5th Wheel
jodyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyo11 View Post
Just rebuilt my refer, did you check for the 12 volts dc??? It will not work unless you have it. Does the refer light come on jnside??
There's no light inside my ref. it's not equipped with one.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyand View Post
Take the cover off the outside and on the stack there is a reset button that has two wires going to it. Push the little black button and it will allow power back to the control board.

What do you mean by the stack? I'll look, thanks!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverchuck View Post
The heat stack that the heat from the burner goes up.

2004 Flagstaff 8524RK 5th Wheel
jodyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
On the fridge side.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+r...+door&tbm=isch

You may need a small bladed screw driver to pop it out depending on the door you have.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #13

We recently had a similar problem with our Dometic in our 18EC.

First, make sure you have power at the main board. If so, try bypassing the thermalfuse AND thermofuse with a wire directly from the main board to see if the fridge operates. If so, replace these "fuses". The "reset button" mentioned in a previous post is on the thremofuse and the wire folded over itself upstream of the thermofuse is the thermalfuse. Our issue was the thermalfuse and when I replaced it, I pulled the "fuse" back from the stack a bit. Both of these are very easy replacements and I carry a spares in the trailer.
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), CVO Rear, Chain Drive 116rwhp/127rwt
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA View Post
We recently had a similar problem with our Dometic in our 18EC.

First, make sure you have power at the main board. If so, try bypassing the thermalfuse AND thermofuse with a wire directly from the main board to see if the fridge operates. If so, replace these "fuses". The "reset button" mentioned in a previous post is on the thremofuse and the wire folded over itself upstream of the thermofuse is the thermalfuse. Our issue was the thermalfuse and when I replaced it, I pulled the "fuse" back from the stack a bit. Both of these are very easy replacements and I carry a spares in the trailer.
I can't find any of these reset switches. I found 2 small glass fuses but they are not blown... Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #15

Quote:
I can't find any of these reset switches. I found 2 small glass fuses but they are not blown... Thanks for your help everyone.
... definitely not the fuses you are thinking about.

Dometic Refrigerator Thermofuse - Refrigerator Parts - Refrigerators - RV Appliances

Dometic Refrigerator Thermal Fuse Assembly - Refrigerator Parts - Refrigerators - RV Appliances
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), CVO Rear, Chain Drive 116rwhp/127rwt
Old 07-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #16

Quote:
... maybe this will help from another forum ...

Tags
refrigerator