Old 01-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #1
Refrigerator - Odd Cold Weather Problem

This problem with my refrigerator occurred last winter, but I am posting it now for information for those who will make winter trips and may encounter the problem.
Last winter, I brought our RV home from storage to prepare it for a trip. As is my practice, I started the refrigerator on gas and let it run for an hour or so to be sure it would work properly on gas. I then switched it to auto and it switched itself to electric mode. When I checked it a few hours later the freezer was below 20 F and the refrigerator was below 40 F. My usual practice was to take the ice trays into the house and make ice in the house refrigerator. However, the RV refrigerator was already below 20 F, so I brought some water from the house and put the trays in the RV freezer. Since I wasnít going to dewinterize the water system until the next day I didnít leave the heat on.
The next morning it was about 25 F outside, and about 35 F inside the RV. To my surprise, the ice trays only had a skim of ice and the freezer compartment was 32 F. The refrigerator was about 35 F. How could this be?
It took a while to figure it out, but the answer was simple. The coach was cold, the refrigerator was losing very little heat to the coach or outside, so the temperature sensor in the refrigerator compartment didnít get warm enough for the controls to call for the refrigerator to run. The relatively warm water that I put in the ice trays warmed the freezing compartment and it reached equilibrium at 32 F. I turned on the coach heat, opened the refrigerator door, set up a fan to blow into the refrigerator compartment for a while, and it started working normally. In an hour or so the freezer was back below 20 F.

2011 Sunseeker 3100
1997 Pathfinder Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
Never would of thought that but it does makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Bruce & Nancy Richardson

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote