Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Tom

Refrigerator Roof Vent

I am in the process of installing an exhaust fan below my roof top refrigerator vent. While I was up there I was going to re-tape the upper area of the trunk. What I am wondering now, was the small area ( in the pic) between roof and ceiling intentially left open? I'm sure it was probably just a 'close enough' job from the factory and serves no function but I do see where hot air could be vented out of the attic. Any thoughts or advice?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180620_142545135.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	176678
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #2

Refrigerator Roof Vent

You seem to be one step ahead of me and thanks for the picture. While chasing a small leak at a roof vent, I decided to check on closing off the space just above the fridge and the roof. Now I see I'll need to remove sealer and the base of vent in order to get into the "attic" above the fridge.

I'll follow here to see some responses. Just had a "FROG strangler" tropical cell finally leave and found my dicor stash was to old to use (sort of like me). Have two weeks before I need the rig.

May be a lonely trip as my copilot/navigator passed away from complications of multiple myeloma in early Feb this year. Hope for a trouble free trip for peaches in Stonewall, Texas and see friends. Never wanted to be single again.

Watching on the side.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupchuck View Post
You seem to be one step ahead of me and thanks for the picture. While chasing a small leak at a roof vent, I decided to check on closing off the space just above the fridge and the roof. Now I see I'll need to remove sealer and the base of vent in order to get into the "attic" above the fridge.

I'll follow here to see some responses. Just had a "FROG strangler" tropical cell finally leave and found my dicor stash was to old to use (sort of like me). Have two weeks before I need the rig.

May be a lonely trip as my copilot/navigator passed away from complications of multiple myeloma in early Feb this year. Hope for a trouble free trip for peaches in Stonewall, Texas and see friends. Never wanted to be single again.

Watching on the side.
You could just cut the wire mesh on 3 sides, bend up and then zip tie when finished. That is way I am doing it.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #4

Obvious

Now this is why I don't raise Rattle Snakes as I'd never see the one that bit me. Zip ties are cheap compared to old elbow grease and time.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:05 PM   #5

Snake Bit

I totally missed the area you are concerned with. That is the area I want to block off to increase airflow out of the top. Other threads here were doing that for fridges in slide outs that vent through the wall. My theory is block that off and only allow the air to go out the top.

Maybe that's a waste of time but the fans would help at any rate.

Are your fans 4 lead with pins for computer? If so, which leads will you use to power same. I have only looked at Best Buy in order to go over and pick something up instead of waiting for the mule train to come from San Antonio or someplace.

Only other explanation for leaving the gap I can think of is to cool the ceiling area at that location without the small round job.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
Tom

I think it was just a shoddy tape job so I will re-tape it. The fan I have just has the red (+) and black (-) wires. I just need to splice some longer leads to reach the bottom of refrigerator back area. There is a 12V wiring block in clear view. The negative side will have a thermostat inline to the ground.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #7

I am looking to do the same. My question is where is the best place for the fan, at the top of vent or down in the Chase,also where is the best location for the thermostat ?
Thanks
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #8
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck View Post
I am looking to do the same. My question is where is the best place for the fan, at the top of vent or down in the Chase,also where is the best location for the thermostat ?
Thanks

At the top for both. Reason - with the fan above the fins and tubes there will be less turbulence to effect the flame when on LP. It's easier to pull the hot air out than to try to push it past the workings of the refrigerator. The lower you place the thermostat, the lower the temperature it will detect, maybe not turning the fan on when it's needed.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser186 View Post
You could just cut the wire mesh on 3 sides, bend up and then zip tie when finished. That is way I am doing it.
Just be sure to tape up the edges before you stick your hands and arms in there or you will get cut up from the sharp edges of the chicken wire.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #10

Bloody Arms

Rebeltown you nailed it. Galvanized scraps in a cut is not a good thing. Was just up there today finishing (hopefully) a small leak patch with some out dated Dicor. Scrapper's suggestion seems most logical and I'm thinking of getting the "kit" listed on www.rvcoolingunit.com that has a bracket, two fans, wiring and thermostat together in one box. You install it your way.

Don't think it'll get here in time for this excursion, but, I'll need something to do after getting back home. Huge recent rain will have my carpet grass very deep in a week. Think I might open up the cover and look at what I'll need when it's cool. Terrible humidity normal down here after flooding rains.

Thanks to you all on this site.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #11
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupchuck View Post
Rebeltown you nailed it. Galvanized scraps in a cut is not a good thing. Was just up there today finishing (hopefully) a small leak patch with some out dated Dicor. Scrapper's suggestion seems most logical and I'm thinking of getting the "kit" listed on www.rvcoolingunit.com that has a bracket, two fans, wiring and thermostat together in one box. You install it your way.

Don't think it'll get here in time for this excursion, but, I'll need something to do after getting back home. Huge recent rain will have my carpet grass very deep in a week. Think I might open up the cover and look at what I'll need when it's cool. Terrible humidity normal down here after flooding rains.

Thanks to you all on this site.
Finally got back to this and finished it up. Cut out a section of the wire screen, re-taped the inside and installed a fan to exhaust out the roof vent. I decided not to go with the thermostat in favor of a on/off switch.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180805_130044980.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	182424Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180805_125840143.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	182425Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180805_131648480.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	182426
Old 08-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser186 View Post
I am in the process of installing an exhaust fan below my roof top refrigerator vent. While I was up there I was going to re-tape the upper area of the trunk. What I am wondering now, was the small area ( in the pic) between roof and ceiling intentially left open? I'm sure it was probably just a 'close enough' job from the factory and serves no function but I do see where hot air could be vented out of the attic. Any thoughts or advice?Attachment 176678
IMHO it is better to place dual fans just above the burner and blow across the entire back of the refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual fans2.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	182430  
Old 08-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #13

Thumbs up Makes sense

No that's a better idea. I have healed from the scratches etc. that my Primary Care Dr. noticed and asked if I had a feral cat. This I like and if any problems develop with my install, I'll go this route.

Funny thing is that suddenly the little 702 fridge started working so well I was worried about freezing veggies in the drawers. Used it for almost two weeks at Old River Road RV Resort south of Kerrville and hauled home 4 quarts and 4 pints of real home made / store bought peach ice cream from Golds Orchards in Stonewall, Texas.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMHO it is better to place dual fans just above the burner and blow across the entire back of the refrigerator.
Probably so, but with the bigger fan I just couldn't seem to find a adequate mounting method to my liking.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #15

It really doesn't matter where the fan is. Fans on the roof will still be drawing air over the coils

My next project after my solar install is a raspberry pi controller adjusting fan speed based on temps outside and coil
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:27 AM   #16

I have to admit, this thread and mod has peaked my interest. I have seen other threads where this is a topic, but to be honest I never paid much attention.
Anyway, what is the purpose of this mod? And what is the theory behind it?

Thanks,
Tom G
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39 View Post
I have to admit, this thread and mod has peaked my interest. I have seen other threads where this is a topic, but to be honest I never paid much attention.
Anyway, what is the purpose of this mod? And what is the theory behind it?

Thanks,
Tom G
There is minimal air flow across the refrigerator heat exchanger naturally which in warm climates is just not enough to allow the fridge to work efficiently. These will dramatically help keep a fridge cold in very warm climates. It is especially necessary for fridges in slides since they have to vent out horizontally.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
There is minimal air flow across the refrigerator heat exchanger naturally which in warm climates is just not enough to allow the fridge to work efficiently. These will dramatically help keep a fridge cold in very warm climates. It is especially necessary for fridges in slides since they have to vent out horizontally.
Thanks, I have a few fans and a power supply lying around. I just may give this a try before my trip to the beach this weekend.
Thank you for your help.
Tom G
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39 View Post
Thanks, I have a few fans and a power supply lying around. I just may give this a try before my trip to the beach this weekend.
Thank you for your help.
Tom G
I installed two super quiet computer case fans (ball bearing drive) in my slide out fridge compartment, right up by the outlet vent. I put one fan on the stock thermistor switch and the other fan on a manual switch to be used as needed. Have never needed to turn it on, even in Arizona heat. I did this initially because the stock fan was noisy and I could hear it every time it kicked on. With the new super quiet fan I never hear it run.

I used a small fan out of an old 12 volt inverter to circulate air in my fridge. I just fabbed up a bracket out of aluminum and epoxy glued it to the top of my fridge compartment near the cooling fins. I ran the 12 volt supply wires into the fridge light for power. The fan runs all the time the fridge is on. Keeps it much cooler inside and my cooling fins don't frost over.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, roo, roof, vent