Old 10-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

Refrigerator Ventilation for Slide Units

Some RV MFG’s are now installing these as OE. The question is placement; VENTING is the most important issue! This web site explains venting and provides pictures. If your venting is poor, your cooling is poor.

http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/fridge_vent.htm

The fan needs to be installed above the cooling unit. The purpose of the fan is to improve the draft, not to blow air onto the cooling unit; you must REMOVE THE HEAT to keep the fridge cool. DO NOT blow through the coils; this does not remove the heat but creates air turbulence.

The venting of an RV refrigerator should be designed to not only provide a place for the warm air from the cooling unit to escape, but designed to actually create a draft that will remove expelled heat as efficiently as possible. As warm air rises cooler air from the lower vent enters the area. The greater the difference in temperature between the warmer air and the cooler air, the faster the air will rise.

I installed two fans for maximum ventilation. The wiring is very easy. There is a negative/positive terminal with screws for the refrigerator. Therefore, I did not cut or splice any wires.

Additionally, I placed a fan inside the fridge to circulate the air. Yes! It works! My fridge is much cooler, maintaining 30F to 35F consistent during 100F plus days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8289 Slide Out Top Fridge Vent.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	40644   Click image for larger version

Name:	8289 Slide Out Top Fridge Vent 2.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	40646   Click image for larger version

Name:	8289 Slide Out Top Fridge Vent fan 1.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	40647   Click image for larger version

Name:	8289 Slide Out Top Fridge Vent fan 2.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	40648  

2014 Rockwood 8289WS - Goodyear Tires
2013 F150 crew 4x4 5.0L 3.73 6 1/2 bed
supersprings & timbren & B &W turnoverball
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection hitch
Jerry & Lisa, Nebraska, USA
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Well, guess I was just lucky, I mounted (2) 120mm ball brg computer fans right on top of the burner tube at the bottom and blow air across the entire back of the frig and the frig works great even in 100+ ambient temps. In fact we've had to turn it up from 3 to 2 to keep from freezing things in the refrigerator section. With the remote temperature monitors, we are consistently holding 34° in the frig section and 0° to -5° in the freezer.

Our frig is NOT in a slide tho.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #3

Excellent! Some people have placed fans at the lower vent to draw cool air in which in theory would push the warm air out. This is very good when you have a roof mounted vent, straight path of flow. I had an RV with a roof vent and placed the fans there. I attached pictures. Also, I closed up dead air space that was trapping hot air and not allowing the hot air to escape.

People complain about the temp in the fridge mounted in the slide; the exhaust vent is now on the side. Hot air rises and does not corner well. Rockwood installed a fan in the middle of the unit to help aide in air flow. You can read posts that people have written about the humming sound from their fridge. I called Rockwood and they told me about this situation. I would have mounted an additional fan at the intake vent to pull air in as you have done. But, Rockwood already installed one for me; therefore, I only installed the top fans to aide in removing the hot air.

The slide mounted fridge has the draw back of the hot air sitting at the top, between the fridge and the roof wanting to go up. The trapped hot air needs help corning to getting out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	no backing above fridge.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	40658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Vent Fan no backing DEAD AIR  SPACE.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	40659   Click image for larger version

Name:	backing installed above fridge.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	40660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed Fan with Backing.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	40661  

supersprings & timbren & B &W turnoverball
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection hitch
Jerry & Lisa, Nebraska, USA
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #4

UPDATE

I installed 2 fans at the bottom intake to draw air in. Now I have fans pulling cool air in and fans pushing hot air out. This creates a better draft. On the pictures you can see I mounted the intake fans on a base with a clip on each side to hold in place.

Amazon.com: AC Infinity AI-MPF120A2 Quiet Dual 120mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling: Electronics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Instake Fan.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	60728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Instake Fan Plug and Base.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	60729