Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #1

Relay Clicking issue with Dometic AC/Heat

So hear is an issue I'm having since day 1 of owning my camper. The first time we needed to use the heat, I was woken up by this relay clicking in my rooftop AC unit when needing heat. The clicking was lasting for about 30 seconds and then the blower would turn on and then the flame would ignite.

The clicking would then start again about 30 seconds before the heat would shut off. I basically knew because of this clicking when it would turn on and turn off and it would wake us up several times throughout the night.

Here is where it gets more confusing... this would only happen when the camper was maintaining a temperature that I had set. So example, if I had it set at 72*, it would only do this clicking when it would cycle on and off to maintain the 72*.

If I would go to the thermostat and change it to 73*, it would immediately call for heat and not do the clicking.

While the many times being at camping world for all of my punch list issues, the tech (I've known him for years) found a ground lose and thought that maybe the clicking was due to the ground not making contact at all times. However due to knowing me, he had domestic send him a new control board which apparently everything including the relay is on the control board.

We thought everything was fine until I needed to use my heat for the 1st time this year Labor Day weekend. I was again woken up by this in the middle of the morning but couldn't get my phone out in time to record it.

I decided to sit on the couch until it needed to cycle again and got this on video. Although it is 3 minutes long, watch it especially as it gets to over the 1 minute mark. There is no pattern to the clicking but it is very loud and annoying.

I've just emailed Dometic with a link to my video to see what they say. I'm wondering if it is as simple as a faulty thermostat... not sure what else it could be. This is a ducted AC unit (15k).

Ideas??

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 09-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
Site Team

So if I understand, you (the tech) changed the control board, but not the thermostat?

If that's the case then I'd suspect the thermostat. However, you should try and reinitialize the thermostat before you replace it.

Do you have the single zone or the dual zone thermostat?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

The tech at Camping World replaced the control board but did not replace the thermostat. They did troubleshooting with Domestic and this is what their suggestion was.

The thermostat is a single zone unit.
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Try initializing it and see if that helps. The procedure for doing it is in the installation manual.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #5

So just to update, I ended up replacing the thermostat on my own. Got it for about $30 out of pocket. Domestic responded back that they are unable to watch the video, my guess is a a firewall. They just sent me back to the dealer.

Talked with service manager today who I know and showed him the video.. he has never seen anything like it before. So new control board with relay, new thermostat.. will attempt my camping trip on Columbus Day weekend to see what happens.

Didn't want to drop it off, waste their time with them trying to troubleshoot especially if the problem is resolved. Plus it may stay their for a week or two.. Just not worth the headache over $30 if this solves it. If not, well then we have eliminated the thermostat and we are back to the AC unit.

We shall see in a few weeks.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #6
Site Team

Thanks for reporting back. Please keep us informed if that fixed the problem.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #7

I'm having same issue.. woke me up this morning. Did you fix the problem?
bhall5368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #8

Very interested! Have exact same problems with my 2017 Sunseeker
Tollypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #9

Please keep us informed with the thermostat change out.
Tollypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #10

Check out this thread. Someone answered me on a different one in this seem to work for everyone

Click sound before heat kicks on - 2014 Forest River

Click sound before heat kicks on - 2014 Forest River - Forest River Forums
bhall5368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #11

The thermostat was the issue. Replaced it and all has been running perfect.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
So just to update, I ended up replacing the thermostat on my own. Got it for about $30 out of pocket. Domestic responded back that they are unable to watch the video, my guess is a a firewall. They just sent me back to the dealer.

Talked with service manager today who I know and showed him the video.. he has never seen anything like it before. So new control board with relay, new thermostat.. will attempt my camping trip on Columbus Day weekend to see what happens.

Didn't want to drop it off, waste their time with them trying to troubleshoot especially if the problem is resolved. Plus it may stay their for a week or two.. Just not worth the headache over $30 if this solves it. If not, well then we have eliminated the thermostat and we are back to the AC unit.

We shall see in a few weeks.
Here we are close to 2020 and this issue with Dometic thermos is still happening. Are these units easy to replace and is there any special requirements for the replacemennt?
DavKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavKar View Post
Here we are close to 2020 and this issue with Dometic thermos is still happening. Are these units easy to replace and is there any special requirements for the replacement?
If by easy to replace, you mean with an "in kind" replacement, then yes they are very easy to replace. However if you're wanting to replace them with a residential or different mfg. unit, then NO they're not easy to replace at all.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavKar View Post
Here we are close to 2020 and this issue with Dometic thermos is still happening. Are these units easy to replace and is there any special requirements for the replacemennt?

No clue about other brands but I have not had another issue since I replaced it.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:54 AM   #15

Relay Clicking issue with Dometic AC/Heat

I bought a replacement thermostat that ran on batteries but when I got it home I sensed (didn't say in the manual) that the batteries were just for the display and the 24V replacement would damage the 12V circuit board. Rather than take that risk I returned it and prepared myself for the $140 OEM one. Meanwhile I
  1. Reset the original Dometic one.
  2. Changed the 1F temp differential back to the default 2F
  3. Changed the A/C set temp to 80F
In doing step 1 it stopped the motor run on. Steps 2 and 3 stopped the system from sending a heat signal to the A/C and the clicking noise. I now have a working thermostat.

The owners manual outlines how to do the above 3 steps and only after that would I consider a replacement.
DavKar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic