Old 09-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
Some guy in back...

Thumbs up Replacement Hinges Glass range cover

Hats off to Suburban for great customer service!

We were out last week-end and discovered that the hinges on the folding glass covered Suburban 3 burner range in our 2016 Rockwood 8329SS were all bent and mangled.
I think someone unfamiliar with the way the cover folds tried to fold it back and chaos ensued. Wanting to cut to the chase, I went to the Suburban range web page and clicked "contact us". I asked where I could get new hinges and received an email from their service department asking for my address. Five days later, on Saturday, an envelope with two new hinges showed up and I installed them on Sunday.
The original ones were pretty bent up and I am glad I did not have to try and straighten them out!

(I see from a search that people have had problems with the plastic bolts/nuts breaking in the same application. I did not have that problem and can only imagine it came from over tightening, heat damage or poor/wrong materials. The fasteners used on our cover seemed the appropriate grade of plastic and I took care not to tighten them too much. They are pretty much self locking and only need to be a snug fit on the glass and hinge.)

'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChateauV10 View Post
Hats off to Suburban for great customer service!

(I see from a search that people have had problems with the plastic bolts/nuts breaking in the same application. I did not have that problem and can only imagine it came from over tightening, heat damage or poor/wrong materials. The fasteners used on our cover seemed the appropriate grade of plastic and I took care not to tighten them too much. They are pretty much self locking and only need to be a snug fit on the glass and hinge.)
The plastic hinge bolts sheared on our most recent trip. The Texas side roads were a lot rougher than we were used to. I had never touched or adjusted the plastic bolts in the 3 years we have owned the camper.

I didn't think to contact Suburban, but I couldn't find any direct replacements either. While taking apart the stove top for some other screws that had loosened, I noticed missing and mangled rubber bumpers around the perimeter. These little rubber nubs support the glass and prevent it banging the metal while towing.

Only 2 of the plastic bolts had sheared so I bought some 5/16" short stainless bolts from Lowe's, along with some thick rubber washers, locknuts, and a sheet of clear plastic self-stick half round "bumpers".

I moved all the intact plastic bolts to the hinges that join the 2 glass pieces, thinking those would have less stress than the hinges that join the glass to the back of the stove. I used the stainless bolts and lock nuts on the back hinges, with large rubber washers on both sides of the glass. Using lock nuts meant I only had to tighten the bolts enough to just start compressing the rubber washers.

And I used the whole sheet of plastic self-stick bumpers, replacing the remains of the OEM rubber nubs. I believe the failure of the OEM rubber nubs led to the failure of the hinge bolts, as the glass bounced on the metal rim. I'm surprised the glass was intact at the end of the trip, judging from the rub marks on the rim and the glass. I will be watching the self-stick clear bumpers on our next trip to make sure they stay in place and take the weight of the glass.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan

Tags
cover, replacement