Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #1

Replacing Dometic refrigerator blue LEDs

Has anyone replaced the LEDs on the interior light board on a newer Dometic refrigerator?

I don't know what genius at Dometic designed these new fridges with the blue LEDs but the light they produce is just ghastly for looking at the food in a refrigerator. They bother me so much I want to do something about it.

I've taken a look at the lighting board (behind the door switch at the top of the refrigerator compartment and the light is produced by six 7.6mm square LEDs. There are three in series with a 150 ohm dropping resistor (2 of these strings in parallel) across the switched 12V.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement LED part? I've found a possible substitute on Newark.com (Cree CP41B-WGS that puts out 3cd at 90 degree spread). The 150 resistor seems about right for a string of 3 3.6V 20ma LEDs with a source voltage of 13.8.

Any electronic tech out there think this will work?

I suppose I could just disable the LED strings, wire a couple of wedge bulb bases and use some warm-white wedge LED bulbs.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #2

I really don't like them as well.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #3

If I find a viable way of replacing them, I'll let the forum know.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #4

We hate the light as well. I'll be following this.

On another note does your freezer door close tight? Ours is loose and frost builds up at the top.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
pahl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #5

Getting back to this project...

I rigged up a breadboard with six of the replacement Cree white LEDs in about the same layout as on the original board and photographed the two side by side. I used a very fast shutter/small aperture/low ISO until I no longer got the centers saturated so I could get an objective comparison of the light level. The original blue is just a bit brighter but that may be because they have a tighter beam pattern - they are probably the 60 degree lenses whereas the white LEDs I bought are 90 degree - pretty close though. That probably won't matter when the white translucent diffuser is on top. The white LEDS are very well color balanced - the RGB values are nearly identical.

Now I just need to desolder the originals from the board and put in the replacements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic frig LED orig blue - new white.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	66549  

Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing.

Some pics during disassembly and soldering along with links to the leds you're using would also be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #7

If you are bound and determined to replace the LEDS then cutting the legs from the led side is the first step. Heat the leg (try not to get the soldering iron on the printed circuit board. Use a pliers to gently remove the leg.

After all are done then use solder wick (braided copper mesh infused with flux) to remove excess solder. Be careful, this is where the printed circuit boards get damaged.

I assume that you have checked that the pin outs are the same as the originals. If so then gently insert the new LEDS and heat the leg and circuit board at the same time and melt a judicious amount of solder. It should run right on to both the leg and copper on the board.

Good luck. solder wick is available from Newark too.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahl68 View Post
We hate the light as well. I'll be following this.

On another note does your freezer door close tight? Ours is loose and frost builds up at the top.

It sounds like you need a new door seal. That is caused by air....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
Has anyone replaced the LEDs on the interior light board on a newer Dometic refrigerator?

I don't know what genius at Dometic designed these new fridges with the blue LEDs but the light they produce is just ghastly for looking at the food in a refrigerator. They bother me so much I want to do something about it.

I've taken a look at the lighting board (behind the door switch at the top of the refrigerator compartment and the light is produced by six 7.6mm square LEDs. There are three in series with a 150 ohm dropping resistor (2 of these strings in parallel) across the switched 12V.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement LED part? I've found a possible substitute on Newark.com (Cree CP41B-WGS that puts out 3cd at 90 degree spread). The 150 resistor seems about right for a string of 3 3.6V 20ma LEDs with a source voltage of 13.8.

Any electronic tech out there think this will work?

I suppose I could just disable the LED strings, wire a couple of wedge bulb bases and use some warm-white wedge LED bulbs.
I think it would be easier to install your last paragraph with wedge led bulbs. and get better lighting at the same time...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #10

Dometic just sent me a white bulb replacement for free. Give them a call at 574-294-2511. Five minute change out to white light.
TheBennetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #11

It sounds like you need a new door seal. That is caused by air....

That what I was thinking. It is brand new and I did check another one at a dealer at it was the same way. Guess
I'll talk to my dealer about it.

pahl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBennetts View Post
Dometic just sent me a white bulb replacement for free. Give them a call at 574-294-2511. Five minute change out to white light.
Thanks - I just saw your other thread on this and will give them a call. I can always save the LEDs I bought for another project.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #13

Quote:
We received our new white light. Question, how do you remove the cover in order to install the new board?

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #14

Replacement module on the way

Quote:
I called today, Dometic said the white LED replacement module will be shipped today. Thanks for the info, and it is free.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #15

It's very easy. I just did mine last weekend while camping. Dometic sent me the lights for free. There are two screws and you very careful unplugged and pulled the board out. Very easy.
Hman0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #16

An old post but...consider it a bump for those of us that missed it the first time.

The DW and I were just discussing the desire to gouge out our eyeballs with a stick every time we opened the fridge. Did a little search here and VOILA! Dometic shipped a new white set out this AM for free.

I love this group.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #17
WFD

There is another thread just like this one that was active last week. I replaced my blue LED's last week with white ones Dometic sent me...had them delivered within just a few days....much more pleasant light now.

Tags
dometic, led, refrigerator