Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #1

Replacing electric only fridge with gas/electric?

Hello, first post so bare with me please.

I am looking into purchasing my first travel trailer. Have picked out a model and its a Vibe 311rls Like everything about it for the price point except the Electric only fridge. I would like to be able to use this at deer camp and the fridge would require me to run a generator at all times.

So Does anyone know what it would take to replace the electric only fridge with a duel power unit.

I am a mechanic, and grew up in construction but travel trailers and propane appliances are a new thing to me. Would it be as simple as framing in for the new unit and running a propane line to it? or is that a pipe dream?

Thanks
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #2

To get an idea what the differences are, I recommend looking at a similar unit that has an absorption frig.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #3

Actually you might do some research. Residential refers come with anminverter and usually 4 golf cart batteries. Giving several days before recharging is necessary. Remember the refer does not run 24/7, but actually, based on outside temps might actually only run for a couple hours a day. Residental refers are trending to be the preferred refer as they last longer, and cool better. Do your research before making a decision.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Are you sure it is not also a gas frig. Most refrigs are duel mode in these type of campers. Can you order one with the Gas/elec option if this one is all electric? Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
Canadian Member

According to this ad, the refer is a 10.7 cu ft Residential Refer w/Inverter built-in so if you have two or four 6V golf cart batteries you'll be able to run it for an extended period without shore power.

https://www.couchsrvnation.com/fores...s-vibe/311rls7
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #6

Yep, I also looked this up and the Vibe 311 rls does indeed come with a "10.7 CU Feet Residential Reefer With Inverter". I can say that I wish that my unit, a 310 BHDS, came with the 10.7 Residential Reefer. I have never tried to run my reefer off of gas, just never had a reason to. The ad I looked at does not state IF there are additional batteries to run the fridge or not. As stated in post #5, if there were two or four golf cart type batteries I would bet that the fridge would last four days with conservative use. As far as replacing the fridge with a dual power unit, the dual power (electric/gas) units are very high priced and you would have to factor in running a gas line to the new fridge. I have helped two people take their old dual power units out and replaced them with household electric fridges and they were happy with the results.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #7

JMO but with the money you're going to have spend for a elec/gas fridge and install it, you might consider putting that money into extending your "off grid" capabilities. Like some batteries and a solar panel. Gas fridges simply do not cool as well and lots of people have problems with them. I replaced my norcold with a 12v fridge after reading how many things many different people have tried to get them running right. Some are lucky, some not. It's a hit and miss it seems. Not trying to scare you but the reality is the odd one even catches fire. This as been going on for years and the company(ies) feel not enough RVs have burnt down to warrant a redesign or fix the problem once and for all. I will not spend my money on companies like that. Another benefit is you don't have to be nearly as level with running a non-propane fridge as you do with the propane ones. Running propane fridges beyond a certain angle really does them in.
itsallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #8

You also have to consider cutting holes for venting.
safrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #9

For comparison, this 9.0 cu. ft. fridge is $1,400. It's smaller, doesn't work as well as a residential all-electric, and needs a looooong time to get cold.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #10

Just buy the duel fuel fridge. You're looking at a nightmare to retrofit one. And consider this, you own a fridge probably nobody wants. If you figure all that in, your upside down before you get started.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #11

I would love to have an electric fridge...gets cold faster and stays colder in hot weather and probably will last longer. Does not require roof venting. I have 4 6v batteries with inverter which would cover fridge draw for a least a few days. For longer trips, I would invest in a solar system to recharge your batteries or just run the genny for a few hours.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #12

X2 on keeping residential
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #13

Thank you for all the replies. Like I said earlier this would be by first travel trailer. grew up with a pop up trailer which I hated which only had a cooler. I was not aware of the issues with propane units and will have to look into that. I also assumed that the refer would draw too much to realistically be ran off batteries. I will have to look into actual amperage draw which should be easy to figure out.

I plan on using this travel trailer year around in 3-4 day trips. SO being able to run a couple days without power is what I am after. In the past I have gone deer hunting with a co worker who used an invert generator for a couple hours a day to recharge the batteries and this is what I would do.

The only times I see my self boondocking is deer season ( september - decemeber)and sporting events if I can convince my fiance to go to college football games with me.

Again thanks for the quick information. Will take a clamp on meter with me when I go to look at the trailer.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #14

The fridge spec sheet should tell you what amps it draws when running...or at least watts which you can convert...the REAL question is how many hours a day it will run in your typical camping temperatures and use...(i.e. kids opening door 10x an hour or two adults with minimal access. There's a meter call "kill a watt" that sells for around 20 bucks. When you have your unit...simply plug it in and use the fridge normally and it will report how many kilowatts you use which you can then equate to 12 volt amps by dividing watts by 12. Once you know your amps per day use...you can then figure out how many batteries you need by doubling those amps and getting enough amp hours in your deep cycle battery bank to cover your daily needs without dipping below 50% charge level.
i.e. if you use 60 amps a day for the fridge...you need 120 amp hours of batteries for just the fridge when boondocking. A pair of 6V batteries will give you a bit over 200 amp hours @ 12V and may be all you need depending on the fridge numbers.
Also realize that what you take out...must be put back in and no matter how big a charger you have...batteries can only accept about 20% if their amphour rating during charging...so for a 200 amp hour bank...you can put back about 40-50 amps per hour which determines your generator run time with the BIgGEST practical charger. Maybe you don't need the hassle and expense of a change out to gas/electric if you can determine amp hour use and fit the right size battery bank.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #15

I was told residential NOT intended to be on the road, but stationary, level in a residence. Could be asking for trouble?
Old 08-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #16

I had a discussion with a FR rep about residential fridges and found out that there's one problem with them that is rarely examined by the RV buyer. This is in-warranty service.

One manufacturer will only work on the a fridge if it's sitting on the floor of the RV maintenance shop. Others will work on it if it's been pulled out of the box surrounding it while one manufacturer will perform warranty work when the fridge is anchored in its box.

Don't forget that the fridge will be anchored in place to prevent its moving around when the RV is in motion.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky06 View Post
Hello, first post so bare with me please.

I am looking into purchasing my first travel trailer. Have picked out a model and its a Vibe 311rls Like everything about it for the price point except the Electric only fridge. I would like to be able to use this at deer camp and the fridge would require me to run a generator at all times.

So Does anyone know what it would take to replace the electric only fridge with a duel power unit.

I am a mechanic, and grew up in construction but travel trailers and propane appliances are a new thing to me. Would it be as simple as framing in for the new unit and running a propane line to it? or is that a pipe dream?

Thanks

I have a residential refrigerator in my Cedar Creek and twice as big as yours and in the spring I tested it with four cheap six volt batteries and it ran for four days and the batteries were like 60%. They are 105amps each, good six volt batteries will be at least 225amps. The residential will get colder than a gas/electric, we have a ice maker on ours. The residential does not have to be kept level and it will go everywhere you go with no problems. The camper manufacturing people are putting the residential in more because it's cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
JMO but with the money you're going to have spend for a elec/gas fridge and install it, you might consider putting that money into extending your "off grid" capabilities. Like some batteries and a solar panel. Gas fridges simply do not cool as well and lots of people have problems with them. I replaced my norcold with a 12v fridge after reading how many things many different people have tried to get them running right. Some are lucky, some not. It's a hit and miss it seems. Not trying to scare you but the reality is the odd one even catches fire. This as been going on for years and the company(ies) feel not enough RVs have burnt down to warrant a redesign or fix the problem once and for all. I will not spend my money on companies like that. Another benefit is you don't have to be nearly as level with running a non-propane fridge as you do with the propane ones. Running propane fridges beyond a certain angle really does them in.

Hello

Misinformation on one part.

Propane cools better in every trailer I have ever owned. Have had 5 of them.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #19

Propane can not hold a candle to my Whirlpool residential refrigerator, it gets cold quicker and it will freeze ice cream hard, it does not have to be level, plus it has a ice maker. You don't ever have to worry about it catching fire, you don't have to turn it off when you go in a tunnel. And it's 20 cubic ft, bigger than the one in my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, fridge, gas, select