Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #21

We had two different bat wing and finally replaced it with the Wingard king head it fits the extension bars that the bat wing was attached to.connect coax and your ready to go. I think it works better than the bat wing. We have traveled all over the country and where you get tv signals it works great.I think cranking it up a few more feet gets better signal than the ones that sit a few inches from the roof top. That's just my opinion. I recommend the Wingard king as a replacement.
Joe-Barb
2013 Rockwood 2608ws TT
2013 ram 2500 4x4 5.7 Hemi
USAF retired Msgt
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #22

I got the new antenna lift arms for my batwing on today. So easy and saved a fortune over replacing it.

I also lubed the whole thing. It’s supposed to be done twice a year and I’ve never done it [emoji15]. What a difference that made!

Now that I’ve had a good look, I think I know what broke it. I must have lowered it when it wasn’t correctly lined up (it’s always been a bit off). There is a ridge that comes up from the base plate and if it was lowered a little to the side, it would have bounced on that ridge while towing.
I also had a tear in my rubber membrane earlier this year (that I thought was from a branch during a windstorm) but now I realize that it is right at the place where tip of the antenna, if it snapped while towing, would have hit. Already repaired with eternabond...
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #23

Fluffywhitedogs, if you have the room on your roof for the “wingman” by all means add it. I have the batwing also and adding the wingman helped a lot. It also made the antenna more directional than before. Very easy installation just plastic push pins,no electrical connection to the existing antenna. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:40 AM   #24

Oh how I wish I had my "Batwing" back. 10 years with that trailer and it picked up everything. Our 2018 Cherokee with the "Omnidirectional"...it struggles to pick up local stations in my driveway, even with a clear line-of-site to the towers.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #25
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Fluffywhitedogs, if you have the room on your roof for the “wingman” by all means add it
For $20 bucks more than the wingman add-on you could have gotten the King/Jack batwing replacement head that blows that batwing right off of the roof!

So much better of an antenna and less than five minutes and a pair of needle nose pliers (to remove the 'C' clips that hold the antenna on to the arm) is all it takes to mount on the same arm that the batwing comes on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JackTVup-IMG_3935.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	655.9 KB
ID:	190252   Click image for larger version

Name:	JackTVdown-IMG_3934.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	590.6 KB
ID:	190253  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:41 AM   #26

Replacing original Winegard batwing

It’s all fixed now [emoji4]
I wouldn’t have been able to just change out the head, it was the arm that was broken.
Unfortunately, I don’t have room for a Wingman or I definitely would have added it while I was up there. But it would hit my AC unless I repositioned the antenna and I really have no interest in that job!
The batwing really is fine for me as-is anyhow. I have never had any issues getting enough stations to amuse myself with if it rains. I’m not really a tv person, even at home [emoji4]
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winegard