Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 11:58 PM   #1

Replacing original Winegard batwing

My antenna was damaged in a windstorm, and I am considering replacing it with a King Jack or Rayzar, but I have a couple of questions...

It looks like the only connection that is made is the coax cable. So will the existing booster on the wall plate work via that connection?

Also, I think I recall hearing that the batwing functioned as the fm antenna as well. Is this true, and will a new one work as well for that?

I really don’t understand how this all works!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:53 AM   #2

The antenna booster will work. I have never heard about the fm so can't help there. Its hard to beat the performance of the batwing with a wingman attached, just something to consider.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #3

2X what SeaDog says about the Batwing with the wingman. Done a lot of antenna work thru the years. The dimensions of the batwing do make it close to the FM frequency band in theory, if your rig ties in the FM radio to the antenna is something you'd have to find out. Usually not done from what I know, but who knows?
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Depending on the model King, you might want to reconsider the omni-directional antenna.

Many folks on here (and other places) post they wish they had their old bat-wing back due to poor performance. If you keep the crank-up part and only replace the head, then that might be a good route to follow.

Something to consider.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #5

We have the Rayzar Z1 on our 2 year old TT and I don't like it at all and if I could replace it with a batwing, I wouldn't hesitate.

I have checked and rechecked the coax, connectors, and everything checks out well so only thing that makes sense is where Jayco decided to mount it on our TT, (mid way and almost to the roof line on one side) where it is not only tilted due to the curved roof line, but lower and in between the AC shrouds which also makes it lower than surrounding RV's and no way to raise it higher. Given that newer digital signals do not penetrate or bounce like older analog signals do, this situation is far from optimal. If the Rayzar Z1 was mounted say high up on a 5th wheel towards the front and more centered, it may perform a bit better.

I gave up and bought a ClearStream 4MAX antenna. Is VERY lightweight, easy to store and takes about 5 minutes to setup by attaching it to a 6' piece of PCV and strapping it to my ladder. It also runs circles around the Rayzar Z1 performance wise, even without an amplifier.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
We have the Rayzar Z1 on our 2 year old TT and I don't like it at all and if I could replace it with a batwing, I wouldn't hesitate.

I have checked and rechecked the coax, connectors, and everything checks out well so only thing that makes sense is where Jayco decided to mount it on our TT, (mid way and almost to the roof line on one side) where it is not only tilted due to the curved roof line, but lower and in between the AC shrouds which also makes it lower than surrounding RV's and no way to raise it higher. Given that newer digital signals do not penetrate or bounce like older analog signals do, this situation is far from optimal. If the Rayzar Z1 was mounted say high up on a 5th wheel towards the front and more centered, it may perform a bit better.

I gave up and bought a ClearStream 4MAX antenna. Is VERY lightweight, easy to store and takes about 5 minutes to setup by attaching it to a 6' piece of PCV and strapping it to my ladder. It also runs circles around the Rayzar Z1 performance wise, even without an amplifier.
I had to replace my batwing (BW) and went with the Z1 that mounts to the BW mast. Can't say it's better (Z1 more compact) than the BW but it's not any worse and the BW was excellent. Sounds like I made the right decision for the mounting. This to is an option for the OP.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Buy the King/Jack batwing replacement head ($50 at Camping World) and don't look back!

I bought one for my previous TT and it almost doubled the number of TV stations I was pulling in while parked in my yard.

Never knew that the Denver metro area had so many TV channels in my life (85 channels).

I loved it so much that when I traded that TT I removed it and it now resides on my 5'ver!

It mounts to the batwing arm and uses the same antenna amplifier.

Now, from the factory the built-in stereo was connected to the batwing and it was shorting out the signal to the living room TV, so I unhooked the radio from the splitter and got a separate antenna for the stereo.

Whatever you do...don't go for the new-fangled omni-directional antennas.

Everyone I know that has them hates them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerMaxxAirFrontDoneStorm-P1010871.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	189374  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

After putting the Wingman addition on the original Batwing, I’ve pretty much been able to pull the most channels when comparing with others at the campgrounds we visit.

I’ve never heard that it’s for receiving FM Radio signals.....besides, the booster button is connected through coax, and most FM radios that I have seen, don’t use coax for their antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A910895B-26A4-40EE-9AD9-B0DFE465C12C.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	189390  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #9

Thanks everyone! After measuring, I found that I didn’t have the clearance required for either the KingJack or the Rayzar v1, so I started to research parts for my sensar and discovered that I could replace the riser bars that were damaged for under $20 [emoji16]
I’m quite undemanding in my reception needs and have never had an issue, so I’ll just fix it back to what it was!
If I ever feel the need to upgrade, I’ll have to measure and see if a wingman will fit...
Old 10-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
After putting the Wingman addition on the original Batwing, I’ve pretty much been able to pull the most channels when comparing with others at the campgrounds we visit.

I’ve never heard that it’s for receiving FM Radio signals.....besides, the booster button is connected through coax, and most FM radios that I have seen, don’t use coax for their antenna.
Read my post just above yours where I tell about the AM/FM/CD/DVD player hooked up to the batwing with a coax adapter through a splitter.

It was shorting out the OTA and the cable to the living room TV.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Depending on the model King, you might want to reconsider the omni-directional antenna.

Many folks on here (and other places) post they wish they had their old bat-wing back due to poor performance. If you keep the crank-up part and only replace the head, then that might be a good route to follow.

Something to consider.
X2. Just the other day there was a parallel thread in this forum concerning less than stellar performance of the King Jack. Two friends that I know have gone back to their "batwings" with an added "Wingman".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X2. Just the other day there was a parallel thread in this forum concerning less than stellar performance of the King Jack. Two friends that I know have gone back to their "batwings" with an added "Wingman".
True, but they were talking about the new low profile omni-directional ones...

Not the batwing replacement King/Jack heads that mount on the batwing riser arm!

They are awesome and blow the batwing right off the roof!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #13
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I also reinstalled my batwing instead of keeping the King Jack.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #14

I think one of our older TT's had a crank-up Winegard batwing and the amp had two on/off buttons for each, TV and FM. Does anyone else remember if their older amp had dual switches. Curious if something like that is still available.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
My antenna was damaged in a windstorm, and I am considering replacing it with a King Jack or Rayzar, but I have a couple of questions...

It looks like the only connection that is made is the coax cable. So will the existing booster on the wall plate work via that connection?

Also, I think I recall hearing that the batwing functioned as the fm antenna as well. Is this true, and will a new one work as well for that?

I really don’t understand how this all works!
Don't do it!! Replace the Batwing with the Wingman already attached at the factory. You will NEVER get the performance of the Batwing with these so called HD antennas or Electronic antennas unless you camp close to the transmission towers. Nothing will beat the good ol' crank up Batwing.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Don't do it!! Replace the Batwing with the Wingman already attached at the factory. You will NEVER get the performance of the Batwing with these so called HD antennas or Electronic antennas unless you camp close to the transmission towers. Nothing will beat the good ol' crank up Batwing.

Lol it was only the aluminum arms that were damaged, so I’m just replacing those. If I ever decide to actually upgrade, it’ll be by addition of a wingman.

Again, I appreciate everyone’s input, I have no doubt I’ve made the right decision! Saving a few bucks is just a bonus [emoji3]
Old 10-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #17
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post

The Wingman Batwing antenna is a Electronic antenna. The switch on the wall is a 12vdc power injector, the amplifier is in the Batwing antenna head unit. There is no difference between a HD antenna and a standard antenna.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #18

I agree with post # 7.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #19

King Replacement Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

Something to consider.
That's what I did. Replaced the head on the original crank up arm. So far pleased. Some places we go can't get a decent Sat signal.

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #20

Batwing with Wingman !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winegard