Old 08-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #1

Replacing tv antenna

I have a new (2016) grey wolf. The stock antenna is worthless and I am replacing it with the King Jack OA8200. My question is, will I need the mounting plate or will the King mount over the same footprint? I know I have to cut a 2 1/4 in. hole in the spot of the new antenna.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
I don't know what antenna you are calling worthless, but I'll tell you my story. We had a 2015 Forest River wildcat fifth wheel with the Wineguard crank up in Antenna to which I also added the wing man to it. Sitting in our driveway next to the house I was able to pick up 33 stations.

We now have a new motorhome with the antenna you are going to get, and sitting in the same spot I get exactly 0 stations. Yes the antenna amplifier is on and all connections are tight.

2014 CR-V EX-L w/Nav & Blue Ox & Ready Brute Elite

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593 & WIT #170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

The antenna is the round omni-directional that is stock on most new Forest River Trailers that I am calling worthless. Are you talking about the King Jack having 0 channels because every review I read was positive? I will see because the installed stock antenna receives 2 maybe 3 channels in my driveway at best. At the campgrounds we visit there are 0 channels. I will be installing the OA8200 King Jack as soon as the rain clears. We shall see.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Yes "0" channels with the King. We just recently returned from the FMCA rally in Massachusetts. The class C next to us had King install that antenna at the rally on his rig. He said HD receptionist was much better but the funny thing was there were four of us next to each other, all with the same antenna and everyone was pointing 90 in a different direction to get the signal. Go figure ?
2014 CR-V EX-L w/Nav & Blue Ox & Ready Brute Elite

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593 & WIT #170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:18 AM   #5

Well, I already bought the dang thing but I will tell you that the Nomad we traded for this Grey Wolf had the Winegard and always received several channels where we camp here in Texas. While we were down on the Gulf coast near Houston there were more channels than we needed. TV is just for news and weather while we are at theses places. I will keep you posted on this one. We are planning a trip to Arkansas this fall and will see how it works in the rocky hills there. Thanks for your info and we wish you good fun on your travels.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #6

Good luck with the King installation I have no experience with them however On my old Class A I had a wineguard with the wingman and got great reception on this new TT I have the wineguard and will be adding the wingman for good measure.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #7

SeaDog...We also have a Jake dog. He just appeared one day as a very small puppy and captured our old soft hearts. He travels with us everywhere we go now. He's 70 lbs. and loves his people. Border collie and Australian Shepard mix we think. Really hope the King works as well as the old Winegard did. The one that comes on these new Grey Wolfs are a waste of roof space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1545.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	117781  
Old 08-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #8

While the optional base would have covered the one screw hole that was left uncovered by the base mount of the King, the roof sealant did that just fine. As I was hoping, with the original antenna I only received 3 stations in my home location, the new King Jack receives 12 stations with exceptional HD quality.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #9

I had the old style crank up, and point antenna on the TT and liked it ! Especially when I read here about googling, and knowing the locations of the broadcast tower antennas for the areas I would be in!

Not sure what the new 335DS will have, but I hope it's just as good !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
The antenna is the round omni-directional that is stock on most new Forest River Trailers that I am calling worthless. Are you talking about the King Jack having 0 channels because every review I read was positive? I will see because the installed stock antenna receives 2 maybe 3 channels in my driveway at best. At the campgrounds we visit there are 0 channels. I will be installing the OA8200 King Jack as soon as the rain clears. We shall see.

I also have the round omni antenna on my 2016 Shasta 185FQ. I had the King on my previous RV and loved it. I'm in Tampa Fl area. I got 56 channels of the King antenna. With this Omni one now I can't even get local channels. :-(.

Tags
antenna