Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #1

Replacing tv antenna

I have a new (2016) grey wolf. The stock antenna is worthless and I am replacing it with the King Jack OA8200. My question is, will I need the mounting plate or will the King mount over the same footprint? I know I have to cut a 2 1/4 in. hole in the spot of the new antenna.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
I don't know what antenna you are calling worthless, but I'll tell you my story. We had a 2015 Forest River wildcat fifth wheel with the Wineguard crank up in Antenna to which I also added the wing man to it. Sitting in our driveway next to the house I was able to pick up 33 stations.

We now have a new motorhome with the antenna you are going to get, and sitting in the same spot I get exactly 0 stations. Yes the antenna amplifier is on and all connections are tight.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

The antenna is the round omni-directional that is stock on most new Forest River Trailers that I am calling worthless. Are you talking about the King Jack having 0 channels because every review I read was positive? I will see because the installed stock antenna receives 2 maybe 3 channels in my driveway at best. At the campgrounds we visit there are 0 channels. I will be installing the OA8200 King Jack as soon as the rain clears. We shall see.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Yes "0" channels with the King. We just recently returned from the FMCA rally in Massachusetts. The class C next to us had King install that antenna at the rally on his rig. He said HD receptionist was much better but the funny thing was there were four of us next to each other, all with the same antenna and everyone was pointing 90° in a different direction to get the signal. Go figure ?

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:18 AM   #5

Well, I already bought the dang thing but I will tell you that the Nomad we traded for this Grey Wolf had the Winegard and always received several channels where we camp here in Texas. While we were down on the Gulf coast near Houston there were more channels than we needed. TV is just for news and weather while we are at theses places. I will keep you posted on this one. We are planning a trip to Arkansas this fall and will see how it works in the rocky hills there. Thanks for your info and we wish you good fun on your travels.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #6

Good luck with the King installation I have no experience with them however On my old Class A I had a wineguard with the wingman and got great reception on this new TT I have the wineguard and will be adding the wingman for good measure.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #7

SeaDog...We also have a Jake dog. He just appeared one day as a very small puppy and captured our old soft hearts. He travels with us everywhere we go now. He's 70 lbs. and loves his people. Border collie and Australian Shepard mix we think. Really hope the King works as well as the old Winegard did. The one that comes on these new Grey Wolfs are a waste of roof space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1545.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	117781  
Old 08-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #8

While the optional base would have covered the one screw hole that was left uncovered by the base mount of the King, the roof sealant did that just fine. As I was hoping, with the original antenna I only received 3 stations in my home location, the new King Jack receives 12 stations with exceptional HD quality.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #9

I had the old style crank up, and point antenna on the TT and liked it ! Especially when I read here about googling, and knowing the locations of the broadcast tower antennas for the areas I would be in!

Not sure what the new 335DS will have, but I hope it's just as good !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
The antenna is the round omni-directional that is stock on most new Forest River Trailers that I am calling worthless. Are you talking about the King Jack having 0 channels because every review I read was positive? I will see because the installed stock antenna receives 2 maybe 3 channels in my driveway at best. At the campgrounds we visit there are 0 channels. I will be installing the OA8200 King Jack as soon as the rain clears. We shall see.

I also have the round omni antenna on my 2016 Shasta 185FQ. I had the King on my previous RV and loved it. I'm in Tampa Fl area. I got 56 channels of the King antenna. With this Omni one now I can't even get local channels. :-(.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #11

Great app for pointing your antenna in the proper direction. Digital TV Antennas. It has a built in compass for you.

For those new to pointing the antenna, remember, it is not lined up with the large arrow on the dial. It is usually 90 degrees off from that. You'll need to look while it is up to see which way it is off.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Great app for pointing your antenna in the proper direction. Digital TV Antennas. It has a built in compass for you.

For those new to pointing the antenna, remember, it is not lined up with the large arrow on the dial. It is usually 90 degrees off from that. You'll need to look while it is up to see which way it is off.
The new omni antenna's are not adjustable. There supposed to be a 360 degree design. Need more design work i believe.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
While the optional base would have covered the one screw hole that was left uncovered by the base mount of the King, the roof sealant did that just fine. As I was hoping, with the original antenna I only received 3 stations in my home location, the new King Jack receives 12 stations with exceptional HD quality.
I am interested in doing this to my Salem TT. Were you able to mount the new antenna where the coax went to the old omni antenna? Or did you have to mount the antenna off to the side of the coax? Any pics? TIA

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #14

I did mount the King in basically the same spot but I changed out the installed coax with new just to be sure. It is required that you cut a 2 1/4" hole with a small space to the side of that hole for the coax. No problem with that as I used my pocket knife for that operation. As I mentioned in my post after my install, I think it would have been better if I had bought the optional base but in any case do get the proper sealant for the job. I used the Dicor 501LSW self leveling sealant. Good Luck and good RVing.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #15

I am also interesting in improving my TV antenna; it is a non-crank up on a new FR 251RKS. To use a crank up model, I would need to cut an access hole to the storage cabinet in the bathroom. Another alternative is to use a portable satellite dome. It could be attached to the top of the rear roof ladder, with a cable to the input on the driver's side of the TT. So I am interested in doing something, since I get maybe two channels at best. (I live near the Canadian Border, north of Seattle WA)

FR 251RKS, Ram 2500 long bed diesel
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haworth View Post
I am also interesting in improving my TV antenna; it is a non-crank up on a new FR 251RKS. To use a crank up model, I would need to cut an access hole to the storage cabinet in the bathroom. Another alternative is to use a portable satellite dome. It could be attached to the top of the rear roof ladder, with a cable to the input on the driver's side of the TT. So I am interested in doing something, since I get maybe two channels at best. (I live near the Canadian Border, north of Seattle WA)

FR 251RKS, Ram 2500 long bed diesel
The King Jack I installed improved my reception by about 10X over the omni-directional antenna that the factory installed on my 2016 Gray Wolf 24RK. But to be fair, when I removed the original antenna the cable was not properly constructed and the connection was incomplete. And I changed the coaxial cable when I installed the King Jack. I can't speak to the satellite but I would presume that the reception would be better than a over the air antenna. I did have to cut a 2 1/4 in. hole to the inside to install the rotator mechanism. Pretty easy install overall tho.
Good luck and happy travels...
Old 11-17-2016, 12:15 PM   #17

Thank you "DD. My access hole would be out of sight, so that part would be ok.

FR 251 RKS, 2500 Ram
debit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna