Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #1

Residential fridge

Hello everyone, been reading the site for a while love it, thought it was about time I signed in and introduce myself.
So I picked up a new coach this year we're getting settled into it figure out how everything works on this one.
Interesting problem, the fridge works fine when it's plugged in or when the generator is running. I took pictures of a temperature gauge I left inside the fridge, and it runs 41.5 about normal operating temperature. When you unplug it or turn off the generator and running on battery power, the fridge warms up over a few hours, to mid 49's.
My wife suggested LOL maybe it's trying to conserve power. Doesn't seem possible it's a standard residential fridge, it operates on the main inverter. I noticed some of the newer coaches have dedicated inverters for residential fridge this is not the case with this one. Since it's a busy time of year getting an appointment with the service repair shop is about six weeks out. Any ideas?
Todd707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

Todd, I can't help with your question, but it may help others, to help you, if you post make, model, and year of your unit.

Good luck !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #3

can't see why it matters that is doesn't have a dedicated inverter. Either way you are using battery power to run the reefer. I have 4 deep cycle batteries and I can run the reefer for at least 24 hours without shore power or running the generator...or driving for 4 or 5 hours.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #4

Your batteries are probably wired wrong. It sounds like the battery or batteries that run your residential refrigerator are not getting charged. My were wired wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

yes make and model would help. LOL
I put that info in my intro for got to put in here.

2017 Berkshire 38a
service guy is coming out this morning, I will post his results, thanks for the replies
Old 08-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #6

So just wanted to update, the temp was fluctuating based on the drain or breather hose being taped closed. When they installed the fridge they should have removed this piece of tape. It sure did seem like it would warm up when you would go to battery power. Anyway thanks for all your help.

Tags
fridge