Old 03-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #11

The 3 batteries are only 8 months old and I realize that even a brand new battery can be or go bad. But I plugged a 2 HP woodworking router into the inverter output side. When I turned it on, the inverter did exactly what I expected....the ac voltage sagged to less than 110 vac, then came right back to 116 vac.

I'm trying to obtain an electric diagram/schematic from Forest River. I'm waiting on a response to my phone call and email.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Just so I am clear;

You unplugged the fridge from the outlet and you do (or do not) have 120VAC there on Shore power and Inverter?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #13

I have not unplugged the fridge yet as that would require pulling the fridge out of the closet it lives in, but I may be forced to just to facilitate the troubleshooting process.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #14

Okay, I have found the problem. I cannot explain why and I feel a litlte stupid about it, but I had to have been mistaken about the refer working fine before. There is no way that the refer could have ever worked correctly on the inverter.

We usually take an old orange juice jar, fill it with water, and freeze it. Then a day before we are to leave, I'll place it in the freezer when I turn everything on for the pre-trip inspection.... Apparently, that ice has kept everything cooled off while we traveled to/from campgrounds and home.

Here's what I found; First, I believe during construction, the slide assembly is prebuilt and prewired. When they set it into the frame, there are three odd looking electrical connectors that are plugged in when the slide is put in place. What happened is that two of those plugs were inadvertantly swapped, so that the inverter was powering up two receptacles on the slide, and the refer was simply connected to a breaker in the panel.
After I rung out the wiring and drew a schematic, it was obvious what was happening. So I swapped those two weird plugs and everything seems to be working right.
I was more than a little disappointed in myself for not catching this months ago. We've had the unit since July, '15. However, it stayed at the deer camp for almost two months, and we only took several weekend trips during that time, but they were all short trips.
Anyway, I think all is well now.

Thanks for all the input guys,...you helped more than you know.

dg
Old 03-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Well that certainly fits the failure profile you were experiencing!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #16

Yes it does Herk. I am still surprised that we didn't recognize that the refer wasn't working on the inverter before. I guess when I "thought" something was working, and seemed to have no evidence to the contrary, there was no reason to go looking for a problem. Had I not been placing the bottle of ice in the freezer, we might have found the issue much sooner.

Anyway, although it was a frustrating experience, I'm glad it's been corrected, and certainly I learned a little more about my coach. That knowledge has some value to me.

I do appreciate everyone's input.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #17

Where are the connectors located?

Dodge 3500 Mega Cab
MBeech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, inverter