Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealyn View Post
The inverter probably needs to be on at all times for the refer to work, even when plugged into shore your refer is really operating off your batteries through the inverter, so the converter must also be operating to keep the batteries charged.
We always think have the refrigerator running on electricity when in storage. We only turn the inverter on when traveling.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #22

there is a small independent transfer switch that switches the refrigerator between shore power or inverter power. the inverter does not have to be on if shore power is present.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #23

The microwave and refrigerator are both part of the kitchen. These will be on a ground fault interrupt circuit. Look for a popped GFI receptacle. Plug something to the GFI and see if it is also off. I had to replace one in our REV close to the microwave.
Tom-n-Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:56 AM   #24

I have a 2014 Georgetown XL and to my knowledge my microwave and refrig (residential model) have never operated while the coach is in motion. Have I missed this boat and if so how do I address the problem?
Crackers027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #25

ours is a 2015 model 3825 but it is probably wired the same. the microwave is on its own branch circuit controlled by its own circuit breaker in the electrical panel. the refrigerator is plugged into the small transfer switch that switches between shore power (via a breaker in the electrical panel) or the inverter. nothing else is powered by the inverter. the inverter output receptacle is a GFCi receptacle so it is possible that it needs to be reset. but this would have no effect on the microwave.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #26

Went to the camper today to start trouble shooting. The best I could tell, it was that one leg that was out but the problem was in the female end of the 50amp extension. I heard it give a little “pop” when I moved it and heard the microwave come on. Took the extension out of the equation and all is good. Thanks for the responses. I’ve made a list of the suggestions for future reference.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackers027 View Post
I have a 2014 Georgetown XL and to my knowledge my microwave and refrig (residential model) have never operated while the coach is in motion. Have I missed this boat and if so how do I address the problem?
I’m sure you have an inverter. Maybe it needs to be turned on. I don’t leave mine on all the time but some do. I just turn it on before we unhook.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
Went to the camper today to start trouble shooting. The best I could tell, it was that one leg that was out but the problem was in the female end of the 50amp extension. I heard it give a little “pop” when I moved it and heard the microwave come on. Took the extension out of the equation and all is good. Thanks for the responses. I’ve made a list of the suggestions for future reference.
Thanks for responding back to the forum about the solution..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-n-Dale View Post
The microwave and refrigerator are both part of the kitchen. These will be on a ground fault interrupt circuit. Look for a popped GFI receptacle. Plug something to the GFI and see if it is also off. I had to replace one in our REV close to the microwave.
fridge is never on GFI. microwave is sometimes but not very often.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #30
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post

Sounds like it was either not fully engaged with the main cord or the contacts have arced and are damaged inside that female socket. If it's #2, you should be able to cut off the existing female socket and replace it with a new one and save the expense of a new cord.

To prevent arcing which can damage the connectors in the cord, you need to plug into a dead outlet (ie, no power), and then apply power once the cord is fully seated. Most of us do this at RV parks, but not so much at home. Usually the breaker for a home outlet is no where near where the outlet is.

Another way to prevent arcing is to use the EMS which has a delay, or just flip the main AC breaker to off inside the trailer. Once connected flip it back on.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #31

if his 3825 is wired the same as ours the refrigerator in on a gfci circuit when powered by the inverter but not when powered by shore power. The output of the pro watt inverter is a gfci receptacle that you plug a cord into. In the case that cord goes to the small transfer switch that switches the refrigerator between shore or inverter power.
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, inverter