Old 04-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #1

Residential fridge only running on inverter

2016 3825fl Cardinal 5th wheel with fridgidare gallery residential fridge. We leave it plugged in and fridge running. Ice maker turned off. Couple months ago discovered it wasnít running, turned breaker off, then on and fridge came on and has run fine since. We have an EMS system but I chalked it up to an electrical glitch. Today I just decided to check it because I had left some food in it and it was off. Flipping breaker does nothing but I decided to see if I would run on the inverter and it does. Donít know where to go from here.

The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
Site Team

In most setups like yours the inverter contains a transfer switch that when shore power is available switches to it and when shore power is not available, it switches to battery provided power through the inverter. If the shore power went out for a reason ( possibly EMS disconnected it ) the inverter would kick in and run the fridge. If shore power was not restored for a while the battery voltage would drop and the inverter would shut off. This is one explanation of what you are seeing there may be others.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:47 PM   #3

It will not run directly from electricity. Camper is plugged up but fridge will not come on unless I turn the inverter on.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
It will not run directly from electricity. Camper is plugged up but fridge will not come on unless I turn the inverter on.
Are other 120 volt appliances working, ie microwave?

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Are other 120 volt appliances working, ie microwave?
I checked some outlets but hadnít looked at microwave. Went out and looked and itís not on either. The breakers for both are in a compartment together and they both are in a slide.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
western NC mountains!

you got a 50amp coach, plugged into 50amp Shore Power?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
western NC mountains!

and, what is the 'EMS system' you are referring to? A power protector plugged into the shore power?
Old 04-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
I checked some outlets but hadn’t looked at microwave. Went out and looked and it’s not on either. The breakers for both are in a compartment together and they both are in a slide.
Appears you have an issue with shore power and not fridge or inverter. As I said if you have no shore power the inverter powered the fridge until the battery got low then shut itself off. After resting the battery voltage can raise enough to run the inverter but not for long. I would focus on your 120VAC 50A service. If you have a reset on inverter try resetting it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
western NC mountains!

losing one 'side' of your 50amp power supply can lead to these symptoms:

- if you lose the side of the power that supplies the 'thru power' to your Inverter, and therefore to your outlets powered by the Inverter breaker sub-panel, you would NOT have power when you are 'plugged in', but WOULD when the Inverter is ON and providing power to those same breakers/circuits/outlets...typically the fridge and microwave and outlets are on a 'whole house' type inverter.

- the Inverter, though, would also NOT be charged by Shore Power, but would still be charged by any Solar power you have.

- sometimes, as you alluded to originally when you 'flipped' or reset the breaker and the fridge 'came back on', the power supply can available, at times, and sometimes not, when loose wires are the culprit.

I would trip the breakers at the Shore Power, and check the connection/tightness of the red and black wires going out of the breakers - you may find one that has lost it's connection, or is no longer 'tight' as it should be.

Also, check your own Main Panel breakers, and your ATS(auto transfer switch), for the same reasons...

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx,
90,000+mi, US, Alaska, Canada, western NC for now : )
Old 04-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #10

[QUOTE=formerFR;2062816]and, what is the 'EMS system' you are referring to? A power protector plugged into the shore power?[/QUOTE

I believe itís a Progressive 50 amp ems. Itís plugged into 30 amp service. Shows no errors or issues.

Tags
fridge, inverter