Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 06:46 AM   #1

Residential Refer problems

Aprox 7 weeks ago, the Whirlpool residential refer in our fiver stopped cooling. Can hear normal compressor running sounds. its still in warranty. Tech comes out to check it. Bad compressor. Replaces compressor. Unit works for three days, then stops cooling...again. Called tech, who comes out to check it again. Now there's a freon leak. (Which I suspect was the problem all along). Not sure where we're going from here. I had to leave before he finished yesterday. I'll call them today. And, the front of the "stainless looking" refer is starting to rust.
I'm afraid I'm going to end up replacing this thing out of pocket.
Ugh.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Wow, more for the rusting part than the cooling part. Sounds like you got a bum unit.

Hopefully they'll get it fixed and it'll work for many more years.

Can you give us the model number if the fridge?
Old 09-08-2016, 04:23 AM   #3

The tech determined that there is a leak somewhere in the sealed system. Right now he is waiting on the tech guy at Whirlpool to tell him what to do next. I hope they just replace the fridge, but we'll see. I will try to get the model and post it later today.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #4

I was just wondering but if the refrigerator has to be replaced can you get it through the door? Mine seems kind of wide

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Where are you on the warranty of your camper? The compressor and sealed system of the fridge itself should be under warranty for at least 3-5yrs (min). I had an LG that lost the sealed system after 4 yrs (7yr warranty) and they prorated it. Got $2K on a $3k fridge.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
DDC

Rusty stainless steel, just attach a magnet to it, why does it still carry the name stainless steel it's just crap. If they have to replace your fridge they will have to take a window out it is to big to go through the door, even disassembled.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Rusty stainless steel, just attach a magnet to it, why does it still carry the name stainless steel it's just crap. If they have to replace your fridge they will have to take a window out it is to big to go through the door, even disassembled.
Maybe not, if it's a counter depth fridge. Many of these will fit out the door with the doors removed. "Stainless steel" on these units refers mostly to the color and not the material from which it's made.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #8

Well, Whirlpool called and wants the tech to check the yoder loop for function, so he did that today, and it appears that the leak is in the yoder loop, which makes the fridge unrepairable. So, the tech thinks that Whirlpool will replace the fridge with a new one. According to him, there is no choice. I sure hope they get the new one in by the end of nexr week. This stuff if such a pain in the arse...
Old 09-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #9

Update

Well, this has been an aggravating process, and we still dont have a working refer yet. But, The tech confirmed a leak in the sealed system, and the unit is unrepairable. At first Whirlpool says to bad because the first year warranty is up, but they may prorate the cost toward a new unit...(using some magic mystery formula). Probably prorated like tires are prorated....So I tell them to work me up a cost, and then I called FR because I had (wisely, thanks to folks on this forum) bought the second year of FR full warranty.
So, the FR rep calls Whirlpool, and now they are supposed to ship me a new refer....7-14 days out, ...then schedule the install. I hope it lasts longer than the first one. The aggravating part is trying to work through everyones schedules and appointments, then waiting on Whirlpool to send parts, then it breaks again....sheeeze, what a pain.
I sure hope its closer to 7 days than 14 days, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:08 AM   #10

Update

Well, Whirlpool shipped the new refer and it arrived on 9/27, the day before we were leaving on a camping trip with siblings. Naturally, the door was hinged on the wrong side, so I had to change that, but so far so good. It was still cooling the last time I checked it. Man, what an ordeal to get done.....between having both AC's fail, and then the refer, its been a challenge...But at least its all done before I head to the deer lease for a few weeks.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.